Cannot get Certsage to renew on shared domains

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: https://www.phukettravelandtours.com

I ran this command:https://www.motorbikerentalphuket.com/certsage.php

It produced this output:urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized
162.0.209.129: Invalid response from Phuket Travel and Tour Information "\n\n\t\n\t

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:Namecheap

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Dont know

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):118.0.12

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): Certsage

The phukettravelandtours site renewed OK, however all the other shared domains get that error. There are 5 domains total

Welcome Back! :slightly_smiling_face:

I'm the author of CertSage. Let's take a look... :thinking:

When you're trying to renew the certificates for the other four domain names, are you visiting the certsage.php belonging to each domain name like this?

the right way:

  • https://phukettravelandtours.com/certsage.php (enter phukettravelandtours.com and www.phukettravelandtours.com)
  • https://motorbikerentalphuket.com/certsage.php (enter motorbikerentalphuket.com and www.motorbikerentalphuket.com)
  • etc

or like this?

the wrong way:

  • https://phukettravelandtours.com/certsage.php (enter phukettravelandtours.com and www.phukettravelandtours.com)
  • https://phukettravelandtours.com/certsage.php (enter motorbikerentalphuket.com and www.motorbikerentalphuket.com)
  • etc

this way... https://www.motorbikerentalphuket.com/certsage.php

Try creating a text file (test.txt) in the content for motorbikerentalphuket.com so that we can access it like this:

http://motorbikerentalphuket.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/test.txt

Yep, your webserver redirects to a custom 404 page when requested content (like the challenge file here) isn't found. Not the right way to handle a 404, but that's a separate issue (returning 200 vs 404). The main issue at hand is that the challenge file can't be found by Let's Encrypt.

Unrelated to the problem...
But this is not the expected redirection path:

curl -Ii https://www.phukettravelandtours.com/       <<<<<<< HTTPS request
HTTP/2 301
date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 23:13:48 GMT
server: LiteSpeed
location: http://phukettravelandtours.com/       <<<<<<< HTTP redirection
x-turbo-charged-by: LiteSpeed

That's supposed to be .well-known, not .well_known inside motorbikerentalphuket. Since the .well-known directory does not already exist there, that means CertSage never created it, indicating either that CertSage never ran for motorbikerentalphuket.com or that CertSage ran into a problem creating the directory. If you look at phuketmotorbikerent, phuketoutcallmassage, and phukettaxiandtransfers, you'll see .well-known.

phuketoutcallmassage appears to have renewed fine as well.

Yes, and phukettaxiandtransfers

The fact that one of your "secondary domains" (phuketoutcallmassage), as cPanel calls them, renewed successfully indicates that the structure and basic configuration of your cPanel isn't the issue. I suspect there's something different about the directory permissions or such for the other three. If you fix the directory for the test file I mentioned earlier, you'll have the best place to start. Once that test file can be successfully accessed from the web, your renewal should succeed.

Thanks Griffin, I am out of my depth but will doggy paddle around. I'm happy that the others worked, so to me it looks like the files are in the wrong place. I will research some more, but the bike rental site is wordpress, and there are no wordpress files in that folder, only the one I made 30 minutes ago.

From a hot and rainy Phuket.

Best of luck to you and let us know if you need further assistance.

From mild and cloudy Denver.

I tried the bike rental certsage link again and it worked!!!!

The only thing I can think of is I had some finger trouble, so all sites are now certed. :pray:

Wonderful!

:partying_face: