Cannot create new certificate with multiple sans that contain two expired domains

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My goal is to renew the certificate that contains all the domains listed in the SAN for caesarstoneremnants.com except for our two expired domains www.zodiaqremnants.com
and zodiaqremnants.com and clean up the extra certificates that I accidently created in testing.

My domain is: stoneremnantsonline.com/

I ran this command: certbot renew

It produced this output: Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com.conf

Cert is due for renewal, auto-renewing...

Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache

Renewing an existing certificate

Performing the following challenges:

http-01 challenge for www.zodiaqremnants.com

http-01 challenge for zodiaqremnants.com

Waiting for verification...

Cleaning up challenges

Attempting to renew cert (cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com) from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com.conf produced an unexpected error: Failed authorization procedure. zodiaqremnants.com (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from ZODIAQREMNANTS.COM [2600:1405:a000:3ae::364d]: "<html lang="en" dir="ltr"><link rel="preload" href="//img6.wsimg.com/ux/fonts/gd-sage/1.0/gd-sage-bold.woff", www.zodiaqremnants.com (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from ZODIAQREMNANTS.COM [2600:1405:a000:391::364d]: "<html lang="en" dir="ltr"><link rel="preload" href="//img6.wsimg.com/ux/fonts/gd-sage/1.0/gd-sage-bold.woff". Skipping.

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/www.stoneremnantsonline.com.conf

Cert not yet due for renewal

All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:

/etc/letsencrypt/live/cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com/fullchain.pem (failure)

The following certs are not due for renewal yet:

/etc/letsencrypt/live/www.stoneremnantsonline.com/fullchain.pem expires on 2021-09-15 (skipped)

All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:

/etc/letsencrypt/live/cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com/fullchain.pem (failure)

1 renew failure(s), 0 parse failure(s)

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: zodiaqremnants.com

Type: unauthorized

Detail: Invalid response from

https://www.afternic.com/forsale/ZODIAQREMNANTS.COM?utm_source=TDFS&utm_medium=sn_affiliate_click&utm_campaign=TDFS_GoDaddy_DLS&traffic_type=TDFS&traffic_id=GoDaddy_DLS

[2600:1405:a000:3ae::364d]: "<html lang="en"

dir="ltr"><link rel="preload"

href="//img6.wsimg.com/ux/fonts/gd-sage/1.0/gd-sage-bold.woff"

Domain: www.zodiaqremnants.com

Type: unauthorized

Detail: Invalid response from

https://www.afternic.com/forsale/ZODIAQREMNANTS.COM?utm_source=TDFS&utm_medium=sn_affiliate_click&utm_campaign=TDFS_GoDaddy_DLS&traffic_type=TDFS&traffic_id=GoDaddy_DLS

[2600:1405:a000:391::364d]: "<html lang="en"

dir="ltr"><link rel="preload"

href="//img6.wsimg.com/ux/fonts/gd-sage/1.0/gd-sage-bold.woff"

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was

entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain

contain(s) the right IP address.

My web server is (include version): Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Dreamhost

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 0.31.0

1 Like

Hi @gsherman and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

To better understand the situation, please show the output of:
certbot certificates

2 Likes

Hope this helps. My hope is renew the first certificate but to remove the www.zodiaqremnants.com and zodiaqremnants.com domains from the SAN. The other 3 certificates can be removed. I only created them as a test.

sudo certbot certificates

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
OCSP check failed for /etc/letsencrypt/live/cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com/cert.pem (are we offline?)

Found the following certs:
Certificate Name: cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com
Domains: caesarstoneremnants.com cambriaremnant.com cambriaremnants.com cambriavanitytop.com cambriavanitytops.com cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com fairfaxgraniteremnant.com graniteandmarbleremnant.com graniteandmarbleremnants.com silestoneremnant.com silestoneremnants.com silestonevanitytop.com silestonevanitytops.com stoneremnantsonline.com tracker.eurostonecraft.com www.caesarstoneremnants.com www.cambriaremnant.com www.cambriaremnants.com www.cambriavanitytop.com www.cambriavanitytops.com www.fairfaxgraniteremnant.com www.graniteandmarbleremnant.com www.graniteandmarbleremnants.com www.silestoneremnant.com www.silestoneremnants.com www.silestonevanitytop.com www.silestonevanitytops.com www.stoneremnantsonline.com www.zodiaqremnants.com zodiaqremnants.com
Expiry Date: 2021-06-20 18:04:12+00:00 (INVALID: EXPIRED)
Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com/fullchain.pem
Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/cloud.stoneremnantsonline.com/privkey.pem
Certificate Name: tracker.eurostonecraft.com
Domains: tracker.eurostonecraft.com
Expiry Date: 2021-09-19 01:50:56+00:00 (VALID: 87 days)
Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/tracker.eurostonecraft.com/fullchain.pem
Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/tracker.eurostonecraft.com/privkey.pem
Certificate Name: www.caesarstoneremnants.com
Domains: www.caesarstoneremnants.com
Expiry Date: 2021-09-19 01:34:30+00:00 (VALID: 87 days)
Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.caesarstoneremnants.com/fullchain.pem
Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.caesarstoneremnants.com/privkey.pem
Certificate Name: www.stoneremnantsonline.com
Domains: www.stoneremnantsonline.com
Expiry Date: 2021-09-15 11:37:35+00:00 (VALID: 83 days)
Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.stoneremnantsonline.com/fullchain.pem
Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.stoneremnantsonline.com/privkey.pem

Try using:

3 Likes

Thank you for the help and support with this issue. Tacking --allow-subset-of-names to the end of the line took care of the issue.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.