Cannot create Cert : Invalid Domain

I have been using an LE cert for years on my domain without issues. It due for renewal this month so I have tried to renew, and create a new one (replacing the expiring one)... both methods fail with error "Invalid Domain'

I know only a little about DNS so I cannot figure out what is going on. I have ran test using the below sites, but interpreting the results is beyond my skills/knowledge level

I'd appreciate the help!

https://dnsviz.net/d/ltek.net/dnssec/
https://letsdebug.net/ltek.net
https://unboundtest.com/m/A/ltek.net/

My domain is:
LTEK.NET

I ran this command:
New Certificate using Synology DSM's built-in app

It produced this output:
"Invalid Domain"

My web server is (include version): n/a
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): n/a
My hosting provider, if applicable, is: n/a
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): dont know
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): n/a
The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): Synology's DSM built-in app

Please show the screenshot of the domain name configured within DSM.

2 Likes

You can see here it was working fine, ltek.net cert is an LE cert...

Of the names in the SAN, some seems to no longer resolve to an IP and I can't tell if they are still being included in that list:

X509v3 Subject Alternative Name: 
 DNS:3d.ltek.net
 DNS:bi.ltek.net
 DNS:deluge.ltek.net
 DNS:hs.ltek.net
 DNS:jd.ltek.net         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< NXD
 DNS:ltek.net
 DNS:pihole.ltek.net     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< NXD
 DNS:plex.ltek.net
 DNS:radarr.ltek.net
 DNS:sonarr.ltek.net
3 Likes

There also appears to be at least one new name to that SAN list:

2 Likes

the SAN list you show is old, from the existing/prior Cert... both JD and pihole do not exist anymore and I removed them from my google NS yesterday / and replaced them with two new ones. All the tests I've done show those old ones are gone and the new ones have replicated

Then I guess I'm out of suggestions...
[I'm not a DSM expert]

Well...
You could try removing those two new names from the SAN and see if it renews.
At least, then we could be more certain about where the problem exists [or doesn't].

3 Likes

pretty sure the issue is not with DSM... there is something LE doesnt like in the DNS for the domain. This only started happening after I moved my NS back for Google from HE.NET (yes, all items are deleted at HE.NET yesterday)

Then it would only take a moment to find out if your assumptions are correct.

3 Likes

You say "two new ones", but you haven't provided those names.
I can see one in the pic: "ds.ltek.net"
What is the other?

2 Likes

You may need to tighten your security.
I shouldn't be seeing this page [especially via HTTP]:

2 Likes

I'm trying to understand how best to secure internal apps/sites that need 'non-local' access to using web and mobile apps (apps use API or user/pw auth -- they all work right now, just not using certs). VPN is not an option.
btw that DSM site requires 2FA so even if you have my user/pw you wont be able to login without my phone, and my fingerprint.. but the other apps need access from family member's mobile apps.

I think (LMK)...
-- request / install the LE cert on proxy server (Synology DSM)
-- in DSM's Reverse Proxy settings, enable port 443 on all external / incoming connections to all apps/sites
-- import LE Cert to the client (since its already on the server).

also, you were correct, the SANs have an issue... a new cert request this morning worked when I removed all the SANs. Do no understand why as all resolve and accessible, its odd.

I wouldn't be worried about the ones that play by the rules.
I would be more worried about the ones that don't...

Sign says "Don't walk on grass"
[but that is just a sign - it stops no one]

Traffic lights "control traffic": When the light turns "red" all cars must stop.
[that's just a light bulb - it doesn't actually stop any cars from continuing through]

Your login page says: "Enter Username, Password, and 2FA"
[but it doesn't do anything about those that can "take the hinges off that door" and enter anyway]

3 Likes

no matter what, I need to get a secure method of access working. right now the SANs are working but not via HTTPS -- the browsers connect but only using HTTP

Follow the packet...

What happens to the HTTPS requests when they hit the pfSense?
What happens to them after that?

2 Likes