Can we generate the SSL certificate without any domain?

How many types of certificate can we generate from letsencrypt and is it mandatory to give the domain name while generating the SSL certificate?

Let's Encrypt only issues certificates for hostnames in the public DNS.

4 Likes

If i want to generate the certificate for personal organization or project. So will it work?

If the hostname of your personal organization or project is in the public DNS, in theory, yes.

6 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

The server is not using HTTPs protocol instead it uses TCP protocol and it can be hosted on remote as well as on local machine. So, for this how can we get the secure certificate?

I don't understand. "it uses TCP protocol" doesn't make much sense to me. Almost everything uses TCP? Including HTTP and HTTPS. They are different OSI layers.

I also don't understand your "and it can be hosted on remote as well as on local machine" remark. WHAT can be hosted on remote or local? What does "remote" and "local" mean exactly?

Please provide as much details as possible in your answers. It's can become quite tiresome if we need to ask for clarification for rather vague statements.

Also, you might want to read the beginners documentation about Let's Encrypt and the ACME protocol, please see:

and

6 Likes

hmm... not sure what you mean by "type"
RSA [2048 and 4096 bits]
and
Elliptic Curve [256 and 384 bits]

3 Likes

Let’s Encrypt offers Domain Validation (DV) certificates.

4 Likes

And those certificates are issued only for public DNS domain names as subjects, and come with EKU endorsements of

X509v3 Extended Key Usage: 
                TLS Web Server Authentication, TLS Web Client Authentication

No other kind of certificate is offered by Let's Encrypt.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.