Can Letsencrypt certs work on a centos 6 server

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: registersheep.com

I ran this command: certbot-auto renew

It produced this output:
Skipping bootstrap because certbot-auto is deprecated on this system.
WARNING: couldn't find Python 3.6+ to check for updates.
Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore.
Certbot cannot be installed.
Please visit https://certbot.eff.org/ to check for other alternatives.
Skipping bootstrap because certbot-auto is deprecated on this system.
WARNING: couldn't find Python 3.6+ to check for updates.
Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore.
Certbot cannot be installed.
Please visit https://certbot.eff.org/ to check for other alternatives.

My web server is (include version):Apache 2.2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): centos release 6.10

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Hi @bobn1029 Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: To answer your title question YES LetsEncrypt Certs will work on centos 6 server but OBTAINING the cert may be the real issue.

Thank you for posting the output from your renewal attempt.
There are a few IMPORTANT issues here presented by the certbot-auto script:

Certbot-Auto is depreciated and in addition to that, CentOS 6 reached it's END OF LIFE in November 2020.

So my recommendation would be to update your server to a level that is supported and maintained with security patches and other updates. (LTS releases are helpful)

Then you can install certbot or some other ACME client like acme.sh for example and continue to obtain certificates for your website.

I believe it would be a huge mistake to avoid taking the time to get your system up to date.

CentOS 6 is now End of Life and there are no more updates

https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/centosrhel8-apache

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

We have an application that has to run on Centos 6 at this time. Until we have the ability to upgrade it we are stuck on Centos 6 for that application. All other applications are running on Centos 8 servers. Are you saying that Letsencrypt cert can not longer be use on Centos 6?

With my previous post as a disclaimer, You might take a look at acme.sh as a solution.

It is a reliable and easy to use/integrate script, but you'll have to read the docs and make your own decisions.

1 Like

Please read @Rip s post carefully (i.e., better/more closely). And please appreciate the distinction between a TLS certificate (or "Letsencrypt cert" as you've put it) you receive and the ACME client which is software used to receive aformentioned certificate.

2 Likes

Thank you, I think this will work until we can upgrade the application

Bob Nelson
801-787-3258
bob.nelson1979@gmail.com

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.