CAA related failures

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: www.eastgrandforks.us

I ran this command: using ceritfy the web when it goes to tirgger response challenges

It produced this output: Validation of the required challenges did not complete successfully. Domain validation failed: www.eastgrandforks.us
DNS problem: SERVFAIL looking up CAA for www.eastgrandforks.us - the domain's nameservers may be malfunctioning BadRequest urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns

My web server is (include version): IIS 8.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Windows Server 2012R2

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

interesting LE is able to validate on root domain just not the www.
unboundtest does not seem to indicate any issue.
https://unboundtest.com/m/CAA/www.eastgrandforks.us/E5LMNKPY

Yes, your DNS server doesn't think it's authoritative for the www. name.

https://dnsviz.net/d/www.eastgrandforks.us/dnssec/?rr=all&a=all&ds=all&ta=.&tk=

• eastgrandforks.us to www.eastgrandforks.us: The server(s) for the parent zone (eastgrandforks.us) responded with a referral instead of answering authoritatively for the DS RR type. (64.140.185.18, 65.61.87.8, 65.61.87.9, UDP_-_EDNS0_4096_D_KN)
  • www.eastgrandforks.us/NS: The Authoritative Answer (AA) flag was not set in the response. (64.140.185.18, 65.61.87.8, 65.61.87.9, UDP_-_EDNS0_4096_D_KN)

You need to fix your DNS server for the www. name if you want Let's Encrypt to issue a certificate for it (as well as if you want users to be able to get to your site using it).

5 Likes

If do not find any DNS CAA records for eastgrandforks.us nor www.eastgrandforks.us
eastgrandforks.us - DNS Lookup - Check All DNS Records for Any Domain
www.eastgrandforks.us - DNS Lookup - Check All DNS Records for Any Domain

$ nslookup
> eastgrandforks.us
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   eastgrandforks.us
Address: 208.90.189.238
> www.eastgrandforks.us

Name:   www.eastgrandforks.us
> set q=soa
> eastgrandforks.us

eastgrandforks.us
        origin = ns1.eastgrandforks.net
        mail addr = help
        serial = 1001
        refresh = 900
        retry = 600
        expire = 86400
        minimum = 3600

Authoritative answers can be found from:
> server ns1.eastgrandforks.net
Default server: ns1.eastgrandforks.net
Address: 65.61.87.9#53
> set q=a
> eastgrandforks.us
Server:         ns1.eastgrandforks.net
Address:        65.61.87.9#53

Name:   eastgrandforks.us
> www.eastgrandforks.us

Name:   www.eastgrandforks.us
> set q=caa
> www.eastgrandforks.us

*** Can't find www.eastgrandforks.us: No answer

Authoritative answers can be found from:
www.eastgrandforks.us   nameserver = ns1.eastgrandforks.net.
www.eastgrandforks.us   nameserver = ns2.eastgrandforks.net.
www.eastgrandforks.us   nameserver = ns3.eastgrandforks.net.
ns1.eastgrandforks.net  internet address = 65.61.87.9
ns2.eastgrandforks.net  internet address = 65.61.87.8
ns3.eastgrandforks.net  internet address = 64.140.185.18
> eastgrandforks.us

*** Can't find eastgrandforks.us: No answer
>
2 Likes

That link does show the issue:

;; opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 2036

Having no CAA record is fine, but getting an error isn't because then the CA doesn't know if you might have restricted issuance to just other CAs.

5 Likes

Here is a list of certificates that have been issued to crt.sh | eastgrandforks.us the latest being 2021-09-23.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.eastgrandforks.us

Since these are Domain Validation (DV) certificates the Domain Name System (DNS) is used extensively in the validation process as well a allowing us to assist here on Let's Encrypt community.
DNS Queries need to give consistent results from any location on the Internet, all your authoritative DNS Servers for the Domain need to also give consistent results as well.

Testing and debugging are best done using the Staging Environment as the Rate Limits are much higher. Rate Limits are per week (rolling).

And to assist with debugging there is a great place to start is Let's Debug.

2 Likes

thanks sorry when i was looking at unbound I guess i was looking for something in the details that pointed issue. thanks for the explaination.

4 Likes

Yeah, I find DNSViz a lot easier to understand than unboundtest (which isn't to say that either of them are particularly easy to decipher).

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.