Bot scan (not from letsencrypt) immediately after cert issue

Hello

I was wondering why and how bots can know new host certificated issuance ?

I have issued 2 certificates in the last 12 hours for host names made from randomly choosen serie of letters and numbers. These hostnames can not be guessed; typically there are 50 caracters longs. I own my dns servers and nobody (except my servers) can xfer my zones.

What I couldn't explain is that immediately (less than 10 seconds) after issuing a new letsencrypt certificate, I have bots connecting to my services.
example:

IP: 205.169.39.25
useragent: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/76.0.3809.71 Safari/537.36" "en-US,en;q=0.9"

NetRange:       205.168.0.0 - 205.171.255.255
CIDR:           205.168.0.0/14
NetName:        CENTURYLINK-LEGACY-QWEST-INET-35
Organization:   CenturyLink Communications, LLC (CCL-534)
  alias:        Qwest Communications Company

route:         205.169.0.0/16
descr:         Centurylink
origin:        AS209

IP: 195.141.89.141
useragent: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/81.0.4044.122 Safari/537.36" "-"

inetnum:        195.141.89.0 - 195.141.89.255
netname:        APEXIS-NET
descr:          Apexis AG
descr:          Zurcherstrasse 46
descr:          8400 Winterthur

route:          195.141.0.0/16
descr:          CH-SUNRISE-970513
descr:          sunrise / TDC Switzerland AG
origin:         AS6730

How do they know my [new] hostnames: letsencrypt must publish this information right ? Is there a flag to certbot or acme.sh to not let this information be made publicy advertised: these are privates servers on my own hardware: I actively ban all these parasitic behaviour ?

Thanks.

3 Likes

every publicly valid certificate have to published to certificate transparency log, and it will be available to anyone to monitor. https://www.certificate-transparency.org/
check out crt.sh if you want to lookup cert for a domain

5 Likes

Hi @fernand.tassion

why do you create then a public trusted certificate?

Public trusted certificate -> public visible domain name required - CT-log entry required.

That's all. There is no privacy if you want a public trusted certificate with your domain name.

PS: It's not Letsencrypt specific.

Every CA must create such a CT log entry.

4 Likes

See for more information about Let's Encrypt and certificate logs here:

4 Likes

Certificate transparency seem to be a great goal, but in the facts, is abused by scan bots and all sort of parasitic behaviour (bots actively searching for wordpress flow from last decade; and so on...).

If i want a certificate for my own private cloud server, it's aimed to provide my familly a way to share data without the need to import self-signed CA authority to match self signed certificates. Or to explain my old parents that the security exception they see in their browser is "good" this time...

Certificate transparency must be abble to contain an "hidden" layer like most whois registry do. I trust letsencrypt (maybe I'm wrong) but I definitely can't trust bots trying to masquerade themselves as usual browsers.

2 Likes

entire purpose of CT is to monitor site owner to check if a certificate for their domain made without their knowledge, so it have to publish domain name (as they aren't the own made certificate) to work.

BTW, it's "MUST" by CA/B baseline requirement, LE will be distrusted from browser if that don't publish to ct log.

3 Likes

I thought [probably naively] certificates where trusted based on cert chain. I can't see what CT has to do with browsers. Further more, I'm curious how, with most peoples/organisation switching to dnssec, someone could issue false certificates easily in 2020. The argument of without CT you will break the internet, sounds a bit confuse to me...
As far as I can see CT deserve mostly evil purposes or is farly too much abused to be something benefic to "normal" people...

Chrome mandates certificate log SCTs, either in the certificate, through OCSP or through a TLS extension. See for more information:

Certificate Transparency Enforcement in Google Chrome

If you're refering to bots seeking to exploit common exploits in web software: you should always be aware of this, the hostname being public or private. To me, using this as an argument agains CT logs is very weak, as your software needs to be secure no matter what if it's connected to the global world wide web.

If you want a fully private site secured with TLS, you should generate your own private CA and somehow distribute your own root certificate to the clients. Once you've added your own root certificate to the OS (or browsers) trust store, your clients wouldn't get any TLS error.

3 Likes

Even then, those servers are accessible from the Internet, aren't they? Otherwise how could your parents connect to them?

3 Likes

If @fernand.tassion would use a VPN between the private server network and their parents, there's no need for TLS :smiley:

3 Likes

Another "solution" would be to get a wildcard certificate (e.g. *.example.com). Then, you cannot see the individually sub-domains in the CT-logs.

But like other also has stated, your security model should never be based on the fact that nobody knows your DNS names (or IP). Always assume that kind of information are public and make your services secure with that in mind.

6 Likes

That would be fatal.

Browsers and users should trust every CA-generated certificate? History shows, that's a terrible idea.

There are CAs in China, North Korea etc.

There are CAs with "playing employees" (test certificates with google-domains created).

And there are things like that:

CT logs are one step to make the certificate system more transparent.

If you really want to secure your system, use dns validation and an VPN.

5 Likes

I had the same thing happen to me a while ago ... luckily the person running the scan process identified themselves in the user-agent, was very helpful, and pointed out the CT logs and he explained that he was running a survey of SSL sites.

He explained that his survey was infrequent and low impact, but offered to exclude my sites from his survey.

I saw no risk in his survey and thanked him for educating me about the CT logs.

I haven't paid attention to that kind of scan for quite a while since.

david

4 Likes

Hi Fernand,

The bots are a fact of life. You already know that, since you have been banning them from before you got your certs. They are getting to your site not because of the certs, but because they are just going to every IP address and probing. What's changed is that since you issued the certs, they now know the names. There is no link between the certificate and the IP address unless you created an IP certificate instead of a Domain certificate.

I'm curious as to why your domain name is a random string of 50 characters. A domain name is an easy-to-type name for humans so they don't need to know the IP address. If you are going to type the random hard-to-remember gibberish, you may as well type the IP address.

Best Regards,
Richard.

3 Likes

I had the same problem with my private subdomains, now I only use one certificate with "domain.com *.domain.com" and no more public info on my private subdomains.

4 Likes

I assume they created a random hostname for testing purposes. I do that all the time.

3 Likes

In the specific case, it is important to know is the certificate presented as default certificate if a client connects without SNI? If yes, there is no need to assume that the name leaked through the CT log (which is always true, but may be irrelevant), the long cryptic name is directly presented in the certificate's SAN section. The next connection with SNI may already come with that name as server name.

4 Likes

For more secure coverage:
The root/apex cert should probably just be covered by: domain.com & www.domain.com (single cert)

Below that, you can have all the private/segregated individualized subdomains you want.
*.a001.domain.com (one cert)
*.b001.domain.com (one cert)
... ...
*.z999.domain.com (one cert)

3 Likes

CAs need to log information about the server for security anyways. I am not aware that any CA (LE especially) advertises this information, and it most likely is not public at all.

2 Likes

The name gives the IP.
Thus the wildcard IP coverup.
*.domain.com won't resolve to any IP.

4 Likes