Already listening on TCP port 80

Hello, I’m using certbot version 0.10.2 on Debian 9.4 using Nginx version 1.10.3

I have two virtual hosts on Nginx, I run

certbot renew --dry run

The first virtual hosts updates, the second states the following:

“The program nginx (process ID 15905) is already listening on TCP port 80.”

Why could this be happening? Thanks

It sounds like you first created this certificate using the standalone authenticator. This spins up a temporary webserver to respond to the challenge, and is usually used in the case where you don’t have a web server running already. When you run certbot renew, it uses the exact same parameters that were used for the initial issuance.

You have a few options. First, you could manually edit the renewal.conf file in /etc/letsencrypt to have the correct setup. A bit more sure-fire, though, would be to simply issue a new one the same way you expect to issue in the future, and then remove the offending certificate using certbot delete whatever.the.certificate.is.named.com.

1 Like

Consider also running a more up-to-date version of Certbot (from stretch-backports), as no doubt you are missing a lot of potential bug fixes in that version.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.