How is it still cached on a server that the DNS is no longer pointing to? DNS changes (excluding LE) happen within a few minutes or hours. I still cannot grasp why I cannot verify this domain 24 hours later. Please help folks.
You may be getting an nginx error, but Let’s Encrypt for sure isn’t.
The URL is 404 on your Apache httpd+Ubuntu server, both on IPv4 and IPv6.
$ curl -i -6 http://lestech.space/.well-known/acme-challenge/5AQBOws22--5BQCLhYkbqiqhToASOShMEzpw0Kl2mUs
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 03:04:12 GMT
Server: Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)
Content-Length: 347
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
<p>The requested URL /.well-known/acme-challenge/5AQBOws22--5BQCLhYkbqiqhToASOShMEzpw0Kl2mUs was not found on this server.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at lestech.space Port 80</address>
</body></html>
If you try issue a certificate via Certbot, you will see that Let’s Encrypt returns the same markup in its error message.
I also see the error from Apache that @_az does when accessing that URL. @themius, if you browser to the example URL that you gave us, are you seeing an error from nginx?!
If so, your DNS configuration on your network is probably not quite the same as the DNS configuration seen by the outside world (which is sometimes true in some DNS setups if you’re on the same network as the server or something).
Thanks @_az. I just managed to create the cert using the following:
letsencrypt certonly --webroot -w /var/www/lestech.space/live/ -d lestech.space -d www.lestech.space
The only change that I made was remove the AAAA entry from my DNS. The funny part though is that the domain still resolves to the previous server. I will try and restore AAAA tomorrow and see if I can run a certbot renew --dry-run. I will update this thread tomorrow and then close it. I know how bad it is to read a thread and see that it has been solved and not know why or how except, “I found a solution. It works!”.
Background Info: I moved the domain from a server running Nginx to a server running Apache. Both servers are from the same host and are both running. What is causing me issues is the fact that the DNS keeps resolving back to the first server that runs Nginx