What's the default behavior regarding removal of the .well-kown directory? Mine keeps getting zapped

One of my hosters keeps removing my .well-known directories despite them containing files, notably keybase.txt (for keybase.io auth). Their support claims Let’s Encrypt does this when certs are renewed.

What’s the default or recommended behavior for Let’s Encrypt when it comes to a pre-existing .well-known directory that already has some other content?

My operating system is (include version):
Debian 3.16.39-1

My web server is (include version):
Apache/2.4.10

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Cloudways (using DigitalOcean)

Ah, some remote company (i.e. Let’s Encrypt) removes certs on a shared hosting server (in casu DigitalOcean) ? :laughing:

It all depends on which client is used. certbot, the officially supported client, doesn’t remove the /.well-known/ directory on purpose, to prevent situations like you’re describing now!

So it’s completely absurd to blame “Let’s Encrypt” for this behaviour. What they could have meant: “The ACME client we use to get Let’s Encrypt certificates issued, is the culprit.” But in that case the hosting provider is still to blame: they chose and installed the ACME client and they choose the configuration of said client.

So I would recommend to ask support again: they’ve chosen and installed the client which is responsible for this behaviour and the officially supported Let’s Encrypt client certbot doesn’t behave like this.

Thanks, that’s what I expected. I’ll get back to them.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.