Website and Local domain the same

I am looking at setting up a certificate for REST API services with our manufacturing software. Is the fact that our internal domain is the same as the website that is hosted offsite going to cause issues? I do not have access to our website server but if we need to make changes for authentication, I should be able to have them made. The end goal is to be able to access the REST API through server.rapat.com.

My domain is: rapat.com

My web server is (include version): Don’t Know

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): No

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

Hi @mtellefson,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this or what kinds of issues you envision, but I think the answer is no.

Remember that Let's Encrypt certificates are valid for only 90 days. So if you want to use Let's Encrypt, you should think about a plan for automating certificate renewal and deployment.

The easiest way to issue Let's Encrypt certificates for server.rapat.com when you don't have regular access to the server itself is to create a DNS CNAME record for _acme-challenge.server.rapat.com pointed at some DNS service that you can update via a DNS provider API. Then you can use various Let's Encrypt clients to make the DNS update for that record in response to DNS-01 authentication challenges from Let's Encrypt. This won't affect any of the services hosted on server.rapat.com at all.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.