Verify Error on Namecheap

The acme-challenge is failing as is seems chown is not permitted and the verification file is not being generated.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: sustainablepackaging.uk

I ran this command:
acme.sh --issue --webroot /home/signuiag/sustainablepackaging.uk -d sustainablepackaging.uk --staging

It produced this output:
sustainablepackaging.uk:Verify error:162.0.235.237: Invalid response from https://sustainablepackaging.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge/F0c7YbGRESDBlZuquS3ZRLBicvqPvyliQOZQM8vtUls: 410

And from LOG extract -
[Tue Oct 25 10:54:50 EDT 2022] writing token:F0c7YbGRESDBlZuquS3ZRLBicvqPvyliQOZQM8vtUls to /home/signuiag/sustainablepackaging.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge/F0c7YbGRESDBlZuquS3ZRLBicvqPvyliQOZQM8vtUls
[Tue Oct 25 10:54:50 EDT 2022] Changing owner/group of .well-known to signuiag:nobody
[Tue Oct 25 10:54:50 EDT 2022] chown: changing ownership of /home/signuiag/sustainablepackaging.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge/F0c7YbGRESDBlZuquS3ZRLBicvqPvyliQOZQM8vtUls': Operation not permitted chown: changing ownership of /home/signuiag/sustainablepackaging.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of /home/signuiag/sustainablepackaging.uk/.well-known': Operation not permitted [Tue Oct 25 10:54:50 EDT 2022] chown: changing ownership of /home/signuiag/sustainablepackaging.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge/F0c7YbGRESDBlZuquS3ZRLBicvqPvyliQOZQM8vtUls': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of /home/signuiag/sustainablepackaging.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge': Operation not permitted chown: changing ownership of /home/signuiag/sustainablepackaging.uk/.well-known': Operation not permitted
[Tue Oct 25 10:54:50 EDT 2022] url='https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/chall-v3/4096207824/JrtY2g'

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: namecheap

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): no

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): cpanel 102.0.24

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): acme.sh

Welcome @robbiefowler

I don't know enough about acme.sh to help on this one. Perhaps another volunteer will have seen that before.

I just want to suggest asking about that on the forum for acme.sh. It looks like an install or config issue with acme.sh. You might get an answer quicker from the experts there.

3 Likes

The chown error is probably a red herring here, I don't think it makes any difference.

What does matter is that your entire website produces an HTTP 410 "Gone" error:

$ curl -ILk sustainablepackaging.uk/
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
keep-alive: timeout=5, max=100
date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:49:01 GMT
server: LiteSpeed
x-turbo-charged-by: LiteSpeed

HTTP/2 410
date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:49:02 GMT
server: LiteSpeed
x-turbo-charged-by: LiteSpeed

Your website needs to be working before you'll be able to issue a certificate using the webroot method.

5 Likes

Thanks I took off the 410, and was able to install it fine... (& put the 410 back up)

I was sure I had installed it a few months back while it was still in 410 and it installed no problem. I guess not!
Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.