Verify error-invalid response using acme.sh on shared hosting

Use this link : https://www.app.smartwealthadvisors.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/test

OK, good! Let’s try acme.sh again:

acme.sh --issue --webroot $WEBROOT -d app.smartwealthadvisors.com -d www.app.smartwealthadvisors.com --staging

(Replace $WEBROOT with the webroot you used for that test file, NOT including the /.well-known/acme-challenge part).

If it does produce an error, please include the output.

Got this: Verifying: app.smartwealthadvisors.com
mkdir: cannot create directory `/app.smartwealthadvisors.com’: Permission denied
/home/smarzmzm/.acme.sh/acme.sh: line 4397: /app.smartwealthadvisors.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/VLdEKa394lpP575MTtMeoYsd-f3udYmjYFO00kcGou8: No such file or directory
[Mon Jul 13 07:34:39 EDT 2020] app.smartwealthadvisors.com:Can not write token to file : /app.smartwealthadvisors.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/VLdEKa394lpP575MTtMeoYsd-f3udYmjYFO00kcGou8

You need to pass the absolute path to --webroot.

So, not /app.smartwealthadvisors.com (which is a relative path pretending to be an absolute path), but /home/whatever/blah/public_html/app.smartwealthadvisors.com (whatever the uapi command reported).

OK. Let me give it a shot

I’ve had another look. The document root checks out really, it’s what was returned by the uapi

Your document root is not /app.smartwealthadvisors.com - at least, that is not the absolute path to it. You are on cPanel hosting which makes that impossible.

Please show me the output of the uapi commands.

uapi DomainInfo single_domain_data domain=app.smartwealthadvisors.com | grep documentroot
documentroot: /home/smarzmzm/app.smartwealthadvisors.com

Right. So you should be using:

--webroot /home/smarzmzm/app.smartwealthadvisors.com

not

--webroot /app.smartwealthadvisors.com

Did that. Got the same error

See error message following comand: acme.sh --issue --webroot $Home/smarzmzm/app.smartwealthadvisors.com -d app.smartwealthadvisors.com -d www.app.smartwealthadvisors.com --staging
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:23 EDT 2020] Using stage ACME_DIRECTORY: https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:23 EDT 2020] Multi domain=‘DNS:app.smartwealthadvisors.com,DNS:www.app.smartwealthadvisors.com’
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:23 EDT 2020] Getting domain auth token for each domain
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:25 EDT 2020] Getting webroot for domain=‘app.smartwealthadvisors.com
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:25 EDT 2020] Getting webroot for domain=‘www.app.smartwealthadvisors.com
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:25 EDT 2020] Verifying: app.smartwealthadvisors.com
mkdir: cannot create directory `/smarzmzm’: Permission denied
/home/smarzmzm/.acme.sh/acme.sh: line 4397: /smarzmzm/app.smartwealthadvisors.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/c_RLG5wrSAZp4609dFrySq4QggjBW6uqz-3dQ7dAK54: No such file or directory
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:25 EDT 2020] app.smartwealthadvisors.com:Can not write token to file : /smarzmzm/app.smartwealthadvisors.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/c_RLG5wrSAZp4609dFrySq4QggjBW6uqz-3dQ7dAK54
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:25 EDT 2020] Please add ‘–debug’ or ‘–log’ to check more details.
[Mon Jul 13 07:44:25 EDT 2020] See: https://github.com/acmesh-official/acme.sh/wiki/How-to-debug-acme.sh

That’s not the same thing - you added a $ symbol and changed the capitalization.

acme.sh --issue --webroot /home/smarzmzm/app.smartwealthadvisors.com -d app.smartwealthadvisors.com -d www.app.smartwealthadvisors.com --staging

Really? :see_no_evil:oh my word! That matters? Worked for the main domain. Let me do agai

Worked like a charm!

Great! You can remove the --staging part of the command, to create the certificate for real.

Should I add --force? Says renewal date in not due

In this case, yes. Because we issued the certificate from the untrusted server (while we were trying to fix the problem), we now want to force renewal from the trusted server.

Thanks a million. Couldn’t have done it without your help

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.