Verify Domain fails

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: www.lhs66.org

I ran this command:Verify Domain from PunchSalad

It produced this output:It returns to the same screen instead of showing certificate

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:GoDaddy

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):I don't know

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):Yes

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

1 Like

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, Dave :slightly_smiling_face:

Please don't use that. I've authored an ACME client designed specifically to help GoDaddy shared hosting users easily acquire Let's Encrypt certificates.

PS. Greetings to the Loveland High School Class of '66. I live in the Denver Tech Center. :blush:

3 Likes

We had a certificate installed and working a couple of years ago, but it expired in December 2020. Should I uninstall that before running your process?

1 Like

Installed in cPanel, correct?

2 Likes

Yes, in cPanel.

1 Like

Once you acquire your new certificate with CertSage and install it in cPanel, you are free to delete your previous certificate(s) and private key(s) at your leisure. Doing so beforehand won't necessarily hurt anything, but it's always advisable with certificates to "update" before removing the outdated. cPanel will let you have any number of certificates (and private keys) on file at a time as you wish, but only one installed at a time for each domain name.

3 Likes

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

2 Likes

If you should run into any trouble whatsoever, you know where to find me. :slightly_smiling_face:

https://crt.sh/?q=lhs66.org

2 Likes

I have three shared domains and I see two public_html folders...one inside the other. If I put the certsage file in the second one I can access it from CertSage. Is that where it belongs, or does it go in the first public_html folder?

1 Like

Well, now the first public_html folder seems to have disappeared. I'll go ahead where CertSage is working.

1 Like

The CertSage authorization failed in staging.

I listed all three domains in the CertSage app. Should I only use the lhs66.org domain?

1 Like

Usually with multiple websites through GoDaddy shared hosting, the "primary" website's webroot directory is public_html while the "secondary" websites have their webroot directories inside public_html. For the secondaries, put a copy of certsage.php inside their each of their webroot directories then modify this line near the top of certsage.php:

$dataDirectory = "../CertSage";

to point to the correct directory like:

$dataDirectory = "../../CertSage";
2 Likes

You only want to list the (sub)domains for the domain from which you're accessing CertSage.

For example:

https://lhs66.org/certsage.php

should list:

lhs66.org
www.lhs66.org

You might also be able to include:

mail.lhs66.org

if you're hosting its email through cPanel.

2 Likes

Be sure to install the certificate and its private key after you acquire the certificate for each domain name. Otherwise CertSage will overwrite the certificate and private key files with each run since they all share a data directory (to only use one ACME account with Let's Encrypt).

2 Likes

Got it installed for lhs66.org and www.lhs66.org successfully, but it still shows as unsecure when I go to the site. Does it take some time to become effective?

1 Like

Both sites show a secure lock here! Sometimes the browser cache can give some issues or "mixed content" can make a secure site insecure.

4 Likes

Looks like it's a message from Firefox that says "Parts of this page are not secure (such as images)."

2 Likes

You should make sure all content is served over HTTPS by using https:// as the protocol in the URLs. It depends on how your site has been build on how to do that. Manual sites probably require manual intervention, content management systems such as Wordpress have configuration options which need to be modified.

By the way, if you're modifying the code of your site anyway, please take a look at the following error too:

Not allowed to load local resource: file:///File%20Cabinet/Dave's%20Disk%20(original)/Class%20of%20%E2%80%9866/Website/CSS%20Style%20Sheet.css (index):386

Obviously using such a reference on a website doesn't work.

Same goes for:

Not allowed to load local resource: file:///File%20Cabinet/Dave's%20Disk%20(original)/Class%20of%20%E2%80%9866/Website/Images/66.ico (index):1
Not allowed to load local resource: file:///File%20Cabinet/Dave's%20Disk%20(original)/Class%20of%20%E2%80%9866/Website/CSS%20Style%20Sheet.css (index):1

(Although that latter one seems to be a duplicate of the one I mentioned earlier.)

3 Likes

Thanks for all of your help! I will work on the links that may be causing the Firefox error.

3 Likes

Looking good!

:sunglasses:

2 Likes