Using Asterisk as a TLS client

What was shown seems correct.
We don't have enough information (and possibly the right tools) to check how you are using that cert.
[in the context of SIP calling]

4 Likes

I have an 8 digit number that prefixes every time I dial that identifies me but it is there whether I connect over udp (which works) or tls. I'm assuming they know it's tls by the port and the handshake but I'm guessing.

We would have to guess as well.

4 Likes

Thanks to both of you for looking.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@hraycrum69 based on your posts, and TLS Requirements, I think you are trying to get Asterisk connect to us-east-va.sip.flowroute.com:5061 as a TLS client. Flowroute's instructions are unusual because they ask for a publicly trusted WebPKI certificate as a client certificate. Not totally invalid, but also not commonly done. (thanks to @rg305 and @Bruce5051 for the sleuthing here).

I think the next step is for you to show us the full logs from Asterisk where it is showing an error connecting to us-east-va.sip.flowroute.com:5061. Can you do that?

4 Likes

I use tls for Twilio and Telnyx without issue. This seemed from the start to be tied to dst-root-ca-x3-expiration-september-2021. I used tls with Flowroute before without issue, probably before the expiration. There are no error logs except what I sent before. It is working now. I was just trying to determine if the client was being verified and not sure how to do that.

2 Likes

Since TLS Requirements says:

Requirements

• Valid certificate (no self-signed certs)

You can be confident they are verifying your client.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying. It works with "cert_file=cert.pem" or "cert_file=fullchain.pem". Thought that could be an issue. Left it at cert.pem for now.

3 Likes

If it works with fullchain.pem, I'd prefer to use it.

3 Likes

I'll set it back & let run for a month.

1 Like

SOLVED!

Had to add the "preferred-chain="ISRG Root X1" directive to cli.ini.
Lets Encrypt was defaulting to the old defective chain.
1 Like

Glad you got it working. Just noting the default chain is there for a reason and is not defective. In fact, this forum uses that default chain :slight_smile:

While suitable for most purposes it apparently was not for your special case. That is why an alternate chain is provided.

5 Likes