Use existing Letsencrypt wild cart cert on second server

Hello,
New member and new to deploying my own SSL cert. Tried to research my question on my own. So this might have been asked before so perhaps my google-fu is weak. Right now I am in the planning stage of my project - which is to deploy a web server using a sub domain - example foo.hamies.world

I have an existing wild card SSL cert deployed on another application. My DNS provider is cloudflare. I used the dns-01 method via the acme package.

The question(s) are:
Do I need to generate a new cert for my sub domain? I don’t think I need to - since I have a wild card ssl cert (would like to confirm).
If no
Can I use my existing ssl cert on the new server hosting the new sub domain?

My domain is:
hamies.world
I ran this command:
N/A
It produced this output:
N/A
My web server is (include version):

nginx

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Digitalocean

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):
N/A

You can, but it may be easier to just use two separate certificates, because then you don’t need to worry about copying certificates and keys between servers.

Thanks but wouldnt that interfere with existing certificate for the same TLD domain?

Nothing stopping you having multiple active certificates for the same domain. They do not interfere with each other.

As long as you stay within the rate limits you’ll be fine.

If you only have 2 servers (= 2 certificates), it’s no problem. It’s common, even.

1 Like

Did not know that. Appreciate the quick response.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.