Unable to renew certificate: Updating challenge

My domain is: for defrance.co.uk and I use vanadium.cloudhosting

I got an email which states

Automatic Let's Encrypt renewal for defrance.co.uk was attempted and failed.
This certificate expires on 2021-05-17 00:19:42 +0100 BST.

Unable to renew certificate: Updating challenge for defrance.co.uk: acme: challenge update timeout

1 Like

Hi @Paulw

please explain: That's not a Letsencrypt mail, that's something else.

Why didn't you answer all of the questions?

1 Like

Because I don’t know the answers, the marketing guy left and I am left to pick up the pieces. I’m an IT guy and I know nothing about these things.

I received an email from cpanel (vanadium.cloudhosting.co.uk) about the letsencrypt certificate not being able to renew, I just discovered that mail.defrance.co.uk was the problem so I just issued a new certificate but unticked mail.defrance.co.uk and it issued just fine although it only renewed for 3 months, is that normal ? and can I configure it so it always ignores mail.defrance.co.uk so the auto renewal won’t have any problems in future

1 Like

This isn't the only problem.

That subdomain has a different ip address, so http validation via cPanel normally doesn't work. And that ip doesn't answer.

Final: Your MX record of your main domain doesn't use that subdomain. So that subdomain

• has expired dns endtries
  • isn't used

Conclusion: No certificate is required with that domain name.

PS:

Then you have to know all these things.

1 Like

Juergen,

Wow thanks for digging into that for me, just to confirm which domain name needs no certificate, www.defrance.co.uk or mail.defranceco.uk ?

1 Like

Yes, the certificates are valid for 90 days and must be renewed. It's suggested that you attempt to renew them at 60 days - in case of any unforeseen problem. Then you'll have time to correct any problems before the current cert expires.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.