As we start moving towards a more secure internet (not just HTTP) I have noticed more people starting to ask questions about secure mail protocols and how to test.
This tutorial is about that and hopes it helps out in the future
You will need openssl and python but if you are using certbot you should already have these installed.
- Protocols, Definitions
- STARTTLS and Why It’s Significant
- Testing TLS Connectivity with OpenSSL - GMAIL SMTP
- Testing TLS Connectivity with OpenSSL - GMAIL IMAP GMAIL POP
- How To Talk Protocols - Once TLS Connectivity is established
- Protocol Example - IMAP
- Testing Script (Python)
- Challenges with Email Servers (Examples)
- Challenges with Email Clients (Examples)
- Further Work