Too many certificates already issued - rate limit?

I would like to come back to your suggestion. As many of the Freifunk Communities are running into this issue of practically unrenewable LE-Certs, I would like to reconfirm that adding freifunk.net to the Public Suffix List is the perfect and sustainable solution for Freifunk to use LE.

A little more background: freifunk.net as a domain is giving out A-Records and subdomain-delegation to potentially hundrets of communities in Germany. These communities help to decentralize free and open networks by meshing roughly 30.000 wifi hotspots in Germany. This has roughly doubled last year. Currently we have about 300 communities that maintain their servers, “community marketing” and maps. It becoming more and more good practise to use SSL (thanks to you) but every local admin does this his way. So there is some good knowledge sharing and good practise, but no central mandate for www.gotham.freifunk.net or map.smallville.freifunk.net.I have not seen a third level of subdomain delegation, but I think that’s also possible at some point.

Long explanation, but would an entry of freifunk.net in the Public Suffix List be the right approach to get around the current LE limits? Any other implications? Would this be a sustainable long term solution?

Thanks

Maybe this is too late to be useful, but let me relay the conclusion drawn on the “other side” (the German Freifunk Forum): freifunk.net being in the public suffix list does not seem like a good option. There’s a website hosted under freifunk.net, that website could no longer use cookies. It also seems that “freifunk.net” (when entered in the URL bar) could be considered a search term instead of opening the website. So people fear there will be too many bad side-effects when having freifunk.net on the public suffix list.