Stop issuing certificates to Russian websites

There is no such incentive.

If you want ISPs to innovate and improve their networks the solution is making them compete with each other, not allowing them to charge both ends of the connections.

Bandwidth isn't a scarce resource.

3 Likes

Ground-based utilities are one of the few times when a monopoly makes sense because the general population doesn't need to support two or more physical delivery systems, so in that sense, landline bandwidth is a necessarily a scarce resource.

Affordable high-speed satellite Internet is well under development though, and is able to out-compete traditional ISP's in some cases.

1 Like

You know, ground based networks (power, fiber/copper, water, roads, ...) are what's called a "natural monopoly" -- it's a situation where free market economics doesn't apply, and that's bad, really bad.

It's not like you can't have competition in that space, though. In Europe, the company that owns the infrastructure is functionally separate from the company that sells the service, and, more importantly, the first actually leases the infrastructure to the second and all its competitors, by law.

No regional monopolies like the US, here. And I pay 24€/month (~$26) for 2.5 Gbps.

4 Likes

Hello. What is situation now?
I'm from Russia and found one of my domains certificates didn't reissued at 1 of April. The messages in log are stating "The ACME server refuses to issue a certificate for this domain name, because it is forbidden by policy (and 1 more problems. Refer to sub-problems for more information.)"
Where was no message about Lets encrypt stop working with Russian companies. My hosting support doesn't know anything about it. As far I could see, certificates of Russian government entities are still use the certificates, some issued after 1 of April.
My domain is commercial one, web-store. Could I know which policy doesn't allow me to issue certificate?

1 Like

Thanks for link. Crazy enough, but my domain is listed there.
Where is another company with similar name in the list and my website attributed to it by mistake.
Wonder if it's possible to fix it, but probably would be cheaper to change domain name to avoid future surprises.

3 Likes

It also explains why my Youtube Channel and company Google Workspace was suspended without notice or explanations and without right for recovery. Years of work and gigs of data were lost by this mistake.
It proves the neutrality approach of Letsencrypt team is smart and constructive, contributing to peace and well-being rather than increasing destruction and hatred.

1 Like

I wasted two weeks in vain efforts. Youtube recovery form was blocked by block of workspace account, and support didn't seen any reasons for block and after dozens of email informed me there no way to recover.

Letsencrypt blocked my website according to sanctions list, they couldn't know about mistake. But I grateful for them they doesn't punish all Russian users as some people suggest.

But YouTube and Google did the same, didn't they? Because the website appeared on the sanction list by mistake?

Probably. They didn't explain anything.

Please be informed that as per Google's policy and regulation, we won’t be able to reinstate your Workspace account. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Domain was suspended for sanctions compliance hence Domain will remain suspended.

It would be best if you had started from the sanction list then. Once the website disappears from the list (and if it appeared there by mistake - it should disappear from the list), you will be able to recover all blocked resources.

Read it. Main idea "Make them think about behavior."
In the state of deep distrust of Russian citizens toward the US and its dependent countries (and there are real reasons for it, not only paranoia) the the result of the reflection will be:
"yes, they all are hating us and want to destroy us as did with many other (oil-producing) countries".

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

It seems like this topic has been thoroughly discussed, and there’s not much more that can be covered without things getting extremely contentious. I’m closing this thread.

6 Likes