Steps to install SSL to Namecheap cPanel?

It made all the sense when you spelled out the sources. I had been looking at them and was wondering over different issuers and length of effective time.
AV.W - I purchased right before I went back to request for SSL. Namecheap provides 1 year SSL free so that is why it expires next year. I did not catch on that it already has SSL.
SS had one and expired and so I needed SSL but namecheap charges $34. My professor pointed me to LetsEncrypt.
CEtc was only parked and did not have SSL so I did not have any trouble requesting for SSL.

Different browsers - Firefox does not let me get past the alert. Safari has a link option to proceed at my own risk sort of, and that's how I was able to go through. I forgot what Chrome was showing as I did not check it after I got through in Safari.

Wow. I learned at lot. I so appreciate your patience. It must have been obvious to you I did not know what I was doing.

All three good to go. Now I have a week to build the websites. Ha.

Again, thank you very much.

2 Likes

Oh, another question. When I have to renew, can I include mail... Right now, mail was not included in CEtc and AFW. Or should I just uninstall and request again with mail included?

1 Like

:partying_face:

The email notifications are per ACME account and not per certificate, so as long as you were using the same CertSage directory, which contains your account key(s) (production and staging), you will receive notifications for all certificates issued using that account. You can always update your account email at any time (even after cert issuance) to receive notifications for all certificates issued (or that will be issued) using that account.

4 Likes

I am actually referring to the mail subdomain, not the email notifications, but you have addressed it that I can add it when requesting for the cert. I am not keen on setting up mail so I will worry about it later.

[It turns out that .world has a disadvantage - it was blocked/banned as high-risk when I checked the site while at work. Ha. It had nothing on it.]

Thank you so much again.

1 Like

Hi, thanks. I actually have a good experience with namecheap and use their chat when ever I need help.
As for the confusion, it was a simple logic that I missed. I learned a lot just going through this step by step.

1 Like

Ah. Already covered that... :wink:

3 Likes

I am also hosted on Namecheap. FYI I used this before I discovered griffin's routine:-
How to Install Free SSL Certificate on Namecheap - Let's Encrypt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMbLr4ytCM
The videos he provides under Useful links are most helpful.

Hi griffin
Thanks for your routine; it is a big time saver!

I am also hosted on Namecheap. The add-on domains are folders under public_html.
I copied certsage.php into each add-on domain folder. Then I ran for each add-on domain:

AddonDomain.com/certsage.php

That works okay.
Please comment if I should have done something different.

Also, I wondered if you could add an option to Acquire a production certificate and install it in one step. I would always want to do both.

Thanks very much for your routine.

2 Likes

For the addon domains, you'll want to modify line 18 of certsage.php to have ../../ rather than only ../ to prevent exposing your private keys via the primary domain name's website.

3 Likes

Hi griffin
Thanks I changed ../ to ../../ in line 18 as you said. I was expecting it to create a new CertSage folder here:

/public_html/AddonDomain.com/CertSage

But it did not create a new CertSage folder. So there is no new password.txt file.

The way I did it before this change meant that I could use the same password for all my add-on domains. I got the password from the file password.txt which was created in this directory: /public_html/CertSage/
Is that a big security risk?

1 Like

If that folder can be reached from the Internet, then: YES!

4 Likes

Each .. means "go to the parent directory".

• When /public_html/certsage.php has ../CertSage on line 18, its data (e.g. password) will be in /CertSage
  • When /public_html/AddonDomain.com/certsage.php has ../../CertSage on line 18, its data (e.g. password) will also be in /CertSage, which will correctly result in both the primary and addon domains using the same ACME account keys in /CertSage
  • When /public_html/AddonDomain.com/certsage.php has ../CertSage on line 18, its data (e.g. password) will dangerously be in /public_html/CertSage, which will be accessible from the public internet via https://PrimaryDomain.com/CertSage/SensitiveFile
4 Likes

Thanks for explaining - I get it.

So this is what I did:-

For each Addon domain

Using FTP, copy certsage.php (modified in line 18) to each Addon domain folder.
Run: AddonDomain . com/certsage.php
Under Acquire Certificate, change the domains to:
AddonDomainName.com
www.AddonDomainName.com
Enter the password
Click Aquire Production certifcate.
Wait for Success message.
Under Install Certificate into cPanel, enter the same password as above
Click Install Certificate into cPanel
Wait for Success message.

Repeat entire procedure for the next AddonDomainName.

OK? I assume there is no shortcut.
(As mentioned before: it would be good if you could add an option to Acquire a production certificate and install it in one step. I would always want to do both).

Thanks very much for your help. I would have left the password exposed without it!

3 Likes

You've got it exactly right. :confetti_ball:

The reason I can't combine the acquisition and installation steps is because not all CertSage users are cPanel users.

You are quite welcome for all! Thank you for your diligence. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.