Step by step info on how to renew DST ROOT CA X3

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

Sorry, I am a completely uninformed newbie. I simply want a step by step method that can be followed by a complete idiot, on how to replace, or renew this expired DST ROOT CA X3 certificate.
Who is in charge of that? Why are there no instructions?

My domain is: I have no domain. I have a Windows 10 Home AMD 64 16GB RAM desktop computer.
Today Outlook didn't work, What'sApp didn't work, etc.

I ran this command: I ran no command. I want to know what command to run. If you had any sense, your computer knowledge would enable you to come up with a "near English command language", such that any computer would understand a command like "Replace, renew or update DST ROOT CA X3"
Are you guys proud of yourself for not being able to do that?

It produced this output: Nothing!

My web server is (include version): I have no web server!

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Win 10 Home

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: USInternet USI

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Don't know!

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
I don't have a web site. I can use commands on the old DOS shell, or Windows Powershell, if you tell me at which subdirectory or context the command is to be issued.

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

I am not using certbot, because I don't know where and how to get it.

So, how much do you charge for correct advice? One would think that computer software geniuses would be interested in providing basic directions and instructions, just so that they won't get constantly get bothered by people who just want to fix an issue and be DONE with it.
But, so far, one would be wrong in thinking that.

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community :slightly_smiling_face:

1. You can't renew DST Root CA X3 because it's a root certificate belonging to a company (in this case IdenTrust).
  2. Let's Encrypt neither owns nor controls IdenTrust in any fashion, so even if it were possible to renew DST Root CA X3, you'd be barking up the wrong tree.
  3. I should flag your post as condescending and offensive. Being uninformed is acceptable and quite natural under many circumstances. Being rude or belligerent as a means of seeking aid is a poor strategy. I get that you're frustrated. Welcome to the club.
  4. As a regular volunteer around here (the Let's Encrypt team is quite small and must carefully focus their resources), I can say that we've been deluged with issues surrounding the DST Root CA X3 expiration for a while now. You're not alone. We're happy to help (free of charge as always) in whatever way we can. We're pretty good at what we do and are almost always successful. We'll be happy to explain what's going on and help you through your particular troubles as best we can.

From your post, I can't deduce what trouble you're facing. Help us out here. What happened?

4 Likes

There was a huge outage yesterday for Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp.
It's been in all the papers.
[and it had nothing to do with anything this forum can help you with]

IMO, the best advice for Win10 is just do Windows Updates regularly.

3 Likes

If you don't operate the server you're having trouble with, you can't do this--if anything needs to be done (which is far from clear from the rant you posted), it needs to be done by the server administrator.

What makes you think your problem with Outlook has anything at all to do with Let's Encrypt at all, much less with the specific certificate you mention?

3 Likes

Just to check, now that all the recent outages have subsided, are you having trouble with a specific service?

Here is how to add the most recent Let's Encrypt root certificate to your machine, if required:

• Browse to http://x1.i.lencr.org/ in order to download the .cer file for ISRG Root X1 (you may need to tell the browser to "Keep" the file if you get a warning)
  • open the file, click "Install Certificate..", Choose default option "automatically select..", Next, Finish
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.