SSL certificate suddenly invalid after a week

My domain is: wcsdg.com

I ran this command: certbot

It produced this output: 1 week ago, i created the certificate for www.wcsdg.com and wcsdg.com. certbot added text to my nginx config file as shown in attached screenshot.

But now I'm getting "invalid certificate" error when i browse to https://wcsdg.com

My web server is (include version): nginx 1.18.0
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubuntu 20.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 1.18.0

I ran certbot again. Selected the option to Renew and replace the certificate. It gave this output, but the error I get from curl wcsdg.com is that the certificate is SELF SIGNED.

Successfully received certificate.
Certificate is saved at: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.wcsdg.com/fullchain.pem
Key is saved at: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.wcsdg.com/privkey.pem
This certificate expires on 2021-11-24.
These files will be updated when the certificate renews.
Certbot has set up a scheduled task to automatically renew this certificate in the background.

Deploying certificate
Successfully deployed certificate for wcsdg.com to /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/wcsdg
Successfully deployed certificate for www.wcsdg.com to /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/wcsdg
Your existing certificate has been successfully renewed, and the new certificate has been installed.

Hi @scottz1,

Your server says it's running OpenResty, which apparently is based on nginx; are you also running stock nginx somehow? Is there a separate OpenResty configuration elsewhere on the system or is the one you're editing the only one that exists?

Could you try sudo grep -r ssl_certificate /etc/nginx and also repeat the process for any other directories that might contain web server configuration apart form /etc/nginx?

1 Like

Has the IP changed?:

Name:    wcsdg.com
Address: 208.91.197.27

Name:    www.wcsdg.com
Address: 208.91.197.27

See:
SSL Server Test: wcsdg.com (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)
SSL Server Test: www.wcsdg.com (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

Thank you gentlemen. A strange incident with my name server caused it to point the website off to nowhere and I didn't notice that before I posted the irrelevant query here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.