SSL certificate is created for a domain different to what I specified

I am not quite sure what the issue here is, I have created a certificate for the domain www.heterogeneous.co.uk, but it seems to have created it for the domains *.herokuapp.com, herokuapp.com. I have a CNAME record that points www.heterogeneous.co.uk to heterogeneous.herokuapp.com, but I do not know why this would cause a problem. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My domain is:
www.heterogeneous.co.uk

I ran this command:

sudo certbot certonly -a manual -d www.heterogeneous.co.uk

It produced this output:
After uploading this certificate to my site, I receive the following error message:

www.heterogeneous.co.uk uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.herokuapp.com, herokuapp.com Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 0.14.0

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Heroku

I can log in to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
I don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
No

You may have uploaded the cert, but that isn't the cert that your site is using--it's using, as you see, a wildcard cert belonging to your host (edit: and that cert doesn't come from Let's Encrypt at all). You should ask your host how to use the cert you uploaded.

1 Like

That’s for your help! I am contacting them now.

Heroku also has this documentation available:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.