SSL certificate for Register

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Register.it

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):don't know

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Dreamweaver 2019

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): np

Hi guys,
I am struggling to understand how to set an SSL certificate for my HTML page that I am hosting on Register.it. The server is on Apache and the software is an old version of Linux (couldn't get the exact version)
Could anyone please help me to sort this out? Please...
Thank you
Mac

2 Likes

Hi @macnar, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

It seems "Dreamweaver 2019" is only used to synchronize the contents of the website (form your PC to the host).
TLS/SSL is actuated on the host itself (within the Apache configuration).
First, you should speak with your HSP ("Register.it") about enabling TLS/SSL on your site.
[There are many different hosting plans and each may have a different method to do so.]
Then, if you have trouble with their instructions, please post more about that here.

1 Like

Thank you for your welcome @rg305.
Yes I use Dreamweaver to build and then sincronize.
Yes they have the SSL on sale for 70bucs a year. Honestly too much dear for my project hence a cheaper one would work for me.
From my dashboard on their website, (not on cpanel. Don't have the subscription for that) I can upload an external SSL certificate once I have one.
Cheers

2 Likes

Without automation, you will have to do this manual process every 60-90 days.
And if you forget, the cert will expire and anyone connecting will be alerted/warned to avoid the site.
So, it is highly recommended that you seek out a way to automate the cert process.

Does your hosted site support PHP?
If so, there may be an ACME client that can be useful in this case: certsage

tagging: @griffin

2 Likes

The hosted site support PHP but I have to pay an annual subscription to be able to have that option.
I thought with certbot i could get around it but I think I am asking too much..

You must have a very low plan - they want to charge you for anything extra.
If your only access to the site is via FTP, then you are greatly limited.
If the PHP file method requires additional monies, then you have to ask yourself which is cheaper?
Your current plan + PHP price. [which is not really automated]
OR
Any other plan (from any HSP) that includes enough access to use an automated ACME client (or a cPanel that includes LE certs). [that is automated]

1 Like

Free hosting for 1 year after purchase a domain. Good for my little startup and evaluate..

Another completely FREE TLS method is:
Use a CDN (like cloudflare) to front-end the HTTP/HTTPS requests.
[and leave the connection from the CDN to your site as is (HTTP)]

1 Like

It is possible to get a certificate on a third party computer (i.e.: your own), but that would require some manual processing and would require you to make two directories in your webroot and be able to upload a file. This is necessary so Let's Encrypt can validate you're really the owner of the website Or use your DNS provider to prove such ownership. Please read for more information these three webpages:

3 Likes

Thank you this might works but I don't know how to do it pratically.

1 Like

...or just use a Cloudflare Origin CA certificate for the back end to have end-to-end HTTPS.

1 Like

Installing a cert is a price increase :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you Osiris,
I will go trough the guide and see if I can get how to do it myself.
Cheers.

1 Like

Or maybe not a price increase ?

1 Like

I use one of the world's largest hosting providers introductory for $12.18 per year, which includes a free domain registration for the first year. It supports cPanel, PHP, Ruby, and a boatload of other things.

1 Like

There are a long list of HSPs that serve better than the current deal.

3 Likes

Especially not for hosters not offering Let's Encrypt by default......

3 Likes

I see how that came across as an advertisement. It was meant to be for a (basement) comparison.

IE if you're spending more than $10 / year for less than that, you're really losing out.

2 Likes

@macnar If you consider changing hosting provider, you can see a list of hosting providers with whether they support Let's Encrypt out of the box or not:

3 Likes