SSL Certificate for CloudLinux Shared Hosting

I have a shared hosting with InMotion Hosting and they are running Cloud Linux. I want to put an SSL on my domain rjdesignz.com using Let’s Encrypt service. Will that be possible or I would need shell access to create an SSL with Let’s Encrypt?

It’s possible to obtain a cert without shell access ( although easier with). Once you have the certificate, is there a way you can install it on your control panel ? or do you need to get your hosting provider to install it - and if so will they do that for free (as it needs to be done every 2 - 3 months )

Well, getting LE certificate without shell access is indeed possible. However, you might want to consider moving to some VPS , if you don’t want to be hit with additional fees. If you check http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/ssl/install-third-party-ssl for example, that says:

SSL certificates require a dedicated IP address at a cost of $2.00 per month, billed yearly for $24.00. With all SSL certificates (ordered through us or through a third party vendor) there is a one-time $25 installation fee.

There might also be fees for renewals (since that means installing a new certificate file), so you might want to double-check that too.

Instead you could get a VPS with root access for under $5 nowadays, on which you could just install any client you want.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.