[Solved] DNS name does not have enough labels - please show which one

The template below is filled in, what I would like to see in an error report would be the exact label failing. Current I don’t have a clue where to start searching. Given that all domain names ping and this was working before.

My domain is:

tile.openstreetmap.nl a.tile.openstreetmap.nl b.tile.openstreetmap.nl c.tile.openstreetmap.nl d.tile.openstreetmap.nl map.openstreetmap.nl maps.openstreetmap.nl overlay.openstreetmap.nl overlay.openstreet.nl

I ran this command:

acmetool want tile.openstreetmap.nl a.tile.openstreetmap.nl b.tile.openstreetmap.nl c.tile.openstreetmap.nl d.tile.openstreetmap.nl map.openstreetmap.nl maps.openstreetmap.nl overlay.openstreetmap.nl overlay.openstreet.nl

It produced this output:

20171031093234 [ERROR] acme.storageops: could not obtain authorization for help: HTTP error: 400 Bad Request
map[Server:[nginx] Content-Type:[application/problem+json] Expires:[Tue, 31 Oct 2017 08:32:34 GMT] Cache-Control:[max-age=0, no-cache, no-store] Pragma:[no-cache] Content-Length:[137] Boulder-Requester:[19835929] Replay-Nonce:[AwzNwl38J_QUdsOxCtodaiLR7h2LfADIVrJgW2UoMhA] Date:[Tue, 31 Oct 2017 08:32:34 GMT]]
{
“type”: “urn:acme:error:malformed”,
“detail”: “Error creating new authz :: DNS name does not have enough labels”,
“status”: 400
}

(forum software doesn’t allow me to place more than 20 links…)

My web server is (include version):

Cherokee - custom modified version.

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

Linux tile.openstreetmap.nl 4.12.5-gentoo

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

Oxillion

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

no.

Hi @skinkie,

I agree, the error message should show some info about what is the name causing issues.

The error usually means you have wrote a domain like openstreetmap without all the DNS labels or you left some space out there like tile .openstreetmap.nl

Checking the command you posted I can't see any obvious error:

acmetool want tile.openstreetmap.nl a.tile.openstreetmap.nl b.tile.openstreetmap.nl c.tile.openstreetmap.nl d.tile.openstreetmap.nl map.openstreetmap.nl maps.openstreetmap.nl overlay.openstreetmap.nl overlay.openstreet.nl

So I advise to write again the command but this time manually, just in case you copy/pasted it and some strange character left around.

If that doesn't work, maybe @jsha or @cpu could take a look to know what is the offending DNS label.

Good luck,
sahsanu

Sadly the manual retyping doesn’t work for me.

Hi @skinkie,

Sorry for the delay, I was busy ;).

Maybe, previously you tried to issue a cert with a malformed domain and acmetool seems saved it and it tries to issue a cert for it even you don’t specify it in your command line.

If that is the case, the output of the following command should show the offending “domain”:

grep '.' /var/lib/acme/desired/*

Cheers,
sahsanu

2 Likes

you mentioned the forum software doesn’t allow you to paste more than 20 links

hightly possible the errored domain is one you did not post

use the </> to paste code

Andrei

you have also issued a number of certificates over the last few days

https://crt.sh/?q=%openstreetmap.nl

so not sure why you are reporting an error as most of your domains seem to be fine?

Andrei

Offtopic note: your site includes non-HTTPS resources, so the browser gives an insecure page notification, not a green padlock…

There's an open issue for this - thanks for the reminder! I will try to see about fitting that into an upcoming sprint.

I wasn't able to find the requests producing this error in the logs with the information provided so far.

@skinkie What is your ACME account ID?

1 Like

Thanks @sahsanu After removing the contents in the desired directory, acmetool now works without any problems. Lovely isn’t it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.