Certbot - Installing Issues on Debain 8 - Backports Not Configured

I am looking for at guide on how to setup up Certbot on a server with multible virtual host to manage certificates for two or more of these virtual host. Shell access as root. I get stuck all ready on trying to install certbot… Thanks.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is:
domain1 -> virtual host 1 (need SSL)
domain2 -> virtual host 2 (need SSL)
domain3 -> virtual host 3 (no need for SSL)
domain4 -> virtual host 4 (no need for SSL)

I ran this command:
apt-get install python-certbot-apache -t jessie-backports

It produced this output:
Reading package lists… Done
E: The value ‘jessie-backports’ is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

My operating system is (include version):
Debian 8.7 - Jessie

My web server is (include version):
Apache version 2.4.10

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Our own server

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes, as root

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
Webmin and there are several virtual hosts administrated by the same webmin. I would like SSL on two of these virtual hosts

hi @tillebeck

The devil is in the details

review: https://certbot.eff.org/#debianjessie-apache

Install

Since Certbot is packaged for your system, all you’ll need to do is apt-get the following packages.

First you’ll have to follow the instructions to enable the Jessie backports repo, if you have not already done so. Then do:

$ sudo apt-get install python-certbot-apache -t jessie-backports

I believe you skipped this step: https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ which is why your debian system can’t find the repo and hence why the APT command doesn’t work :smiley:

Andrei

Thank you. It is installing right now. I did not see that the “here” was a link and not just referring to apt-get line just below. Thanks for pointing that out. I will continue with the guide :slight_smile:

@tillebeck

it’s all good

that’s why i started with The devil is in the details

i have been guilty of the same things and it’s always good to get a second pair of eyes to look over it :smiley:

andrei

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.