Shared Hosting?

Just a heads up that we have written a plugin for Let’s Encrypt for use by cPanel end users (https://letsencrypt-for-cpanel.com/).

Looking forward to see what the Dreamhost offering is - most control panels should have fairly simple integrations, having implemented this now.

The only complication seems to be sites that inadvertently block off access to the “.well-known” URL path, mostly through rewrite rules (blocking dotfiles such as .git). But, I think that over time, improved plugin UX can help the user deal with this problem in a pain-free way.

@arek the DNAT idea, I would dread having to deploy that, haha!

Does that cpanel plugin work on any host? I’ve got mutliple domains on a shared server running Apache. I have SSH access.

only if the host is using cpanel, if it’s using plesk, ispconfig or other control panel then you will need the appropriate plugin.

@carstorm Yes it works! Here is a tutorial for OS X and a shared host (non-root SSH access). All you need is the option to upload SSL certs in your administration panel at your host. Actually you dont even need SSH access. You could do the domain verification via FTP too.

Looks like my webhost hasn’t updated cPanel. Still on 11.48.4.

I should ask Feralhosting. Will do when I get around to it, or if someone else can do this?

Please include Namecheap.

I dont think that LE can do anything about the hosters. if Namecheap doesnt or doesnt want to do it then you are out of luck.

Note that there is an open GIT project for cPanel linking

Written by this guy~ Using Let's Encrypt with cPanel

Please include HostDime!

I work for a small hosting company that would like to allow lets encrypt for all its customers. I’m happy to hear you may be able to help us understand how to make that possible. But, I’m not sure how to contact you other than by replying to your posts… I signed up to this forum today specifically to contact you. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi thisma,

What is preventing you using Let’s Encrypt at the moment ?

Hey, it’s possible to install let’s encrypt on shared hosting (Hostinger) using ACME client written in PHP and composer. We tested and it works just fine: http://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/ssl/how-to-install-free-ssl-from-lets-encypt-on-shared-hosting

I know this is sort of a late reply and a bump but I created a little php script to install on shared cpanel hosts.

Just upload and run; You may have to run it through from ssh / bash.
ie: php shared-lets-encrypt.php

Eventually I plan on automating the installation with the cPanel API but for now this is what I have.

Hopefully this helps someone.