Reverse Proxy with Raspberry Pi

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me regarding my situation. I have a raspberry pi with airsonic that I'd like to stream my music remotely with a reverse proxy.

Following the documentation on Airsonic's website, it mentions to have the certificates installed from Let's Encrypt/Certbot. Because I'd like to have this accessed only by myself, I'm lost since I don't have a domain name.

My domain is: Not available

I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly --standalone

It produced this output: The Let's Encrypt certificate authority will not issue certificates for a bare IP address.

My web server is (include version): Not available

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian 11 Bullseye

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Not available

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): I don't know

Am very new to all this so sorry in advanced if I don't know what you might be explaining.

What is the best way to approach this? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hi @Toastyv, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

LE certs require a globally registered domain name.
That said, if you have Internet access, you can obtain an FQDN from a free domain.
And then use that to validate and obtain a cert via HTTP authentication (or use DNS authentication if your ISP blocks HTTP [TCP port 80]).
OR
You might be able to run the music without a certificate
OR
You might be able to create a self-signed cert

7 Likes

Hi Rg305,

Thanks and really appreciate the speedy response!

Can you please point me in the right direction about creating self signed certificates? Do I enter this once it prompts me for a domain name? Thanks again!

1 Like

I can't see the menu/screen prompt you are looking at.
And I really don't have the time right now - it's 2:48 am and I'm heading to bed :zzz:

3 Likes

No problem, thanks for contributing! It's a good start at least.

1 Like

have fun:

1 Like

Thanks 9peppe; do I have to input this code when it prompts for a domain? Again sorry if this is all common knowledge.

1 Like

No, you either use Certbot and get a Let's Encrypt certificate,

OR you use that code to get a self signed certificate.

2 Likes

Ok thanks 9peppe, will give it a go.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.