Register a 2nd server to existing domain

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:sensivr.com

My web server is (include version): nginx 1.23.1

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Debian 11

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes)

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
Gitea

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): Don't know yet

Dear forum members

My team has a website at a Polish provider, as the initiators of our project come from Poland.
The website domain is sensivr.com and it is already secured with a Let's encrypt certificate for https:// .
Now we are renting a VServer from a different provider as developer server with Git and Gitea. I want to secure the Gitea webpage also with a Let's encrypt certificate.

I have access to the provider of the website and will register a DNS record for git.sensivr.com pointing to our new server.

My question is, is that already enough to register a new certificate for our new server with SNAP or Certbot or do I have to take other steps into account, e.g. for creating a wildcard certificate?

Has someone experience with this kind of setup and can provide me with best practices?

Kind regards,
SensiVR.

1 Like

Yes, that's enough. You have a separate hostname for a distinct host, so you can just get a cert for that specific hostname on that specific host, regardless of other hostnames/certs/hosts under that entire domain space.

4 Likes

Thank you Osiris, I was successful in registering a SSL certificate.

3 Likes

Great!

I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but there are rate limits you need to be aware of. Especially the "50 certificates per domain per week" limit, if you're having many of such "separate" hosts with different subdomains. You can read more about it here: Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.