Problem at step 6 certbot instructions

Hi. I'm intern at college and i was asked to install and configure certbot in a VM as a test for all institution websites, so i configured a ubuntu-VM-machine on our VM-server.

While following certbot instructions (Certbot Instructions | Certbot) i ran into problems at step 6. The

certbot run -v

or even

certbot certbot --apache

Keep returning:

DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for cosic.certbot.ufba.br - check that a DNS record exists for this domain; DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up AAAA for cosic.certbot.ufba.br - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

for these two domains:

1: cosic.certbot.ufba.br
2: www.cosic.certbot.ufba.br

I'm using certbot 2.7.0, apache 2.4.52 and Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, and have root access to both, VM and VMserver. GlobalSign is the CA that sing ours certificates.

I think that is important to say that i just configured ipv4 address at virtual host website in cosic.conf (located at both /etc/apache/sites-available/ and /var/www/html/) and set /etc/hosts file in VM, didn't register any dns at all.

Sorry if i missed something, you may please indicate what info is needed and i will provide

I appreciate the attention

You need the hostnames to be known in the public DNS, not only locally in your hosts file.

The Let's Encrypt validation servers can't know about the hosts your local hosts file of course.

5 Likes

Thanks.

So, everything i must do is to register that domain?

I don't know if my university has a DNS server, if we have one, can i work with it? Or must pay for one?

If they have a domain name, they do (or they buy it as a service)

That's up to your system administrator.

There are free ones, like he or 1984 or cloudflare

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.