Possible New Bug in Cerbot Renewal Process -?

My domain is corequery.uk and I am trying to manually renew the existing SANS certificate because I am not confident that the automatic process is working even though the cron job appears to be functioning.

My web server is Apache 2.4 running on Fedora 29 x64 and is self-hosted with full root access and no control panels or GUI.

Certbot install information:

Name         : certbot
Version      : 0.31.0
Release      : 2.fc29
Architecture: noarch
Size: 79 k
Source: certbot-0.31.0-2.fc29.src.rpm
Repository: @System
From repo: updates
Summary: A free, automated certificate authority client
URL: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/certbot
License: ASL 2.0
Description: certbot is a free, automated certificate authority that aims to lower the barriers to entry for encrypting all HTTP traffic on the internet.

This is the problem:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/corequery.uk-0001.conf
Cert not yet due for renewal

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/corequery.uk.conf
Cert is due for renewal, auto-renewing...
Error while running apachectl -v.

apachectl: The "-v" option is not supported.

Could not choose appropriate plugin: The apache plugin is not working; there may                                                                                                                                                              be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: PluginError("Unable to run ['apachectl', '-v'] -v")
Attempting to renew cert (corequery.uk) from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/corequery.                                                                                                                                                             uk.conf produced an unexpected error: The apache plugin is not working; there ma                                                                                                                                                             y be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: PluginError("Unable to run ['apachectl', '-v'] -v"). Skipping.
All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
  /etc/letsencrypt/live/corequery.uk/fullchain.pem (failure)

I have looked for a solution and can see that -v is a httpd, not an apachectl, flag; but I cannot find any way of fixing this issue short of re-coding the source files and re-installing certbot, or simply re-installing certbot every time I need to renew the certificates. Is this actually necessary, or is this issue scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming release?

It’s a known issue that was reported a few days ago:

Unfortunately there’s not much more to say yet.

@mnordhoff: thanks, - the workaround suggested by ROV28 (Github link) looks as though it should work, so I will give that a go on Monday, all being well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.