Port 80 Error 404 on initial SSL Xeams setup

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
forty110.com
I ran this command:
SSL install on Xeams

It produced this output:

Error

Although a web server is listening, it returns a 404 when trying to fetch a test file. This happens when the request from the Internet on port 80 goes to a different web server inside your network.

My web server is (include version):
Xeams 7.0 Build 6081
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Not sure - my access from Windoze 7-64

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
PuTTY seems to work but I don’t know the commands

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):Xeams 7.0 Build 6081?

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

The error doesn’t seem correct because router doesn’t show any device using Port 80 and it is not blocked by the ISP.

Hi @scott710

your configuration is wrong.

Checking your domain name ( https://check-your-website.server-daten.de/?q=forty110.com ):

Host T IP-Address is auth. ∑ Queries ∑ Timeout
forty110.com A 192.168.1.15 No Hostname found yes 2 0
AAAA yes
www.forty110.com C forty110.com yes 1 0
A 192.168.1.15 No Hostname found yes

That's a private ip address, not a worldwide unique, public visible ip address:

Warning: Private ip address found. No connection possible. There are two types of ip addresses: Worldwide unique, global addresses and private addresses. If you want that other users connect your domain, your domain must have minimal one A- (ipv4) or AAAA- (ipv6) entry with a global ip address. Check Private network - Wikipedia to understand the details: 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255: Class C - 256 private net, every with 256 addresses

If this is a home server, you must use the public ip address of your connection in your DNS setup.

1 Like

Thanks
for spotting this clumsy error. Obviously, I’m new at this. No
doubt more fumbling will follow.

scott

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.