Pillow hands... how do I renew this 'cert' please

only got one that i saw. not worth arguing at this stage

not at any stage

We are here to help.
But there isn't much we can help with [at this point].
The cert should have auto-renewed 36 days ago.

3 Likes

How much access/control do you have to it from where you are now?

3 Likes

ok. well. i dont know what to tell you. i try to access my plex/nas from here with what usually works, and now its not working. i have no access at all...
i had no idea you existed until that email, and at the time i didnt trust Let's Encrypt because I had never heard of you previously...

Ok - I can understand the sentiment.
But you do realize now that the Plex/NAS has been using LE certs for quite some time.
[without incident and maybe even without your full knowledge/understanding]

But now something has failed and it requires attention.
Perhaps more attention than you can provide it.

4 Likes

Rudy said he couldn't access that domain either. It looks like your port 443 is closed (and port 80 too). These are what allow HTTP and HTTPS connections.

This SSL Checker can't reach your site (link here) and neither can SSL Labs (link here). These are both common tools we use to evaluate connectivity.

Have you recently changed your router? Or had a power outage? Maybe your ISP has assigned you a new IP address. In any event, whatever the problem is right now it has nothing to do with your certificate.

5 Likes

ok... i overreacted then...
since this morning, no loss of power. I changed my router over a year ago... had issues then that Plex was per-plexed about... Synology solved it (they know more about plex than plex does...)

I don't see how it could have worked "normally" this morning...
The cert for it expired six days ago:

A cert that had been [auto]renewing like clockwork since May of 2019.

3 Likes

All I can say is:
"There is never a good time for things to break."
"It worked right up until it didn't."

It sounds to me like we really won't know what happened until you get back.
I wish you all the best; A safe journey and return trip.

Cheers from Miami :beers:

4 Likes

Your internet router is not allowing remote access , e.g. TCP port 80 and TCP port 443 are probably blocked. If you don't know what any of that means I would advise not fixing this problem and do without remote access because allowing remote access without really knowing how it's set up is dangerous for your home files stored on the NAS.

Services like tailscale are available which allow you to do remote access without messing with your router/firewall but it's a little technical to setup and best avoided if you're not big on that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Apparently nobody here uses Plex. Plex does use Let's Encrypt certs to secure its remote access, but it obtains those certs itself for a *.plex.direct domain using DNS validation. (edit: yes, it's possible to use a separately-generated cert for your plex installation, but if you weren't aware of the cert in the first place, it's highly unlikely you're doing that) For more information, see:

and

This means that the expiration of the graeys.familyds.com cert is irrelevant to Plex. What's more likely is that you haven't set it up properly for remote access. This isn't a support channel for Plex, but some of their support pages on the subject are here:
Remote Access | Plex Support
and here:
Troubleshooting Remote Access | Plex Support

In particular, note that port 32400 needs to be forwarded to your Plex installation. You have that port closed, which is the likely reason you can't access Plex remotely. For further information, you'll need to consult the Plex support channels, or those for your NAS--not here.

7 Likes

I suggest doing that at you next available opportunity, which if you are not able access it present you will have to wait until you have access to it either physically or remotely.
Or maybe you know someone close to the device and can access it to do it.

3 Likes

It seems all your Ports are Closed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.