Path to Cert cPanel

Just need to know where the path to the .key and .cert are in cPanel for a single domain. Cant find this info anywhere.

Could you please elaborate your question a little bit more? Because I don't understand what you're asking.

2 Likes

Where do I find the Certificate Key Path (.key) and Certificate Path (.crt) for a certificate on cPanel. I have LetsEncrypt installed on my server running cPanel, I just need to know the path to the certificates on cPanel per domain. I can't really explain it any more simple than that. Where are the LetsEncrypt certificates stored on cPanel?

You might want to ask your question on https://forums.cpanel.net/ too if you haven't done already. I recon there's more cPanel specific knowledge there compared to this Community.

2 Likes

I already have, they do not support LetsEncrypt which is why I am here. It should be simple to be able to help me. I'm just after the path to where the certs are installed. What a waste of time this was, absolute bollocks.

There are many ways of installing a certificate into cPanel:

• Manually by uploading the key and cert in the webinterface;
  • With aid of a plugin, such as AutoSSL;
  • Through the command line using the uapi application.

Let's Encrypt itself is not directly involved in adding certificates to cPanel, so I don't understand why they would refer you to Let's Encrypt directly? Do you have the URL to your cPanel forum thread? I'm curious now..

This thread is not even half an hour old. Please relax, count from 0 to 10, breath in, breath out. I'm just trying to help you.

4 Likes

The certificates, certificate signing requests (CSRs), and private keys that you see in cPanel in the SSL section are usually stored in separate directories in the ssl directory in the root directory of a hosting account.

5 Likes

Why would you even think that anyone here (working on LE software) should know anything about what/where cPanel software puts anything?
It doesn't seem logical to me to assume such a thing.

Let's say I sold you a car from my dealership a few weeks ago.
And you call me up asking: Where are the keys?
And I should know because I gave you those keys.
[Get the picture?]

1 Like

Sorry I am under pressure, not just with work but personal stuff going on and limited to time I can work and have to get things working. I installed LetsEncrypt through FleetSSL and was just thinking that was the standard way with cPanel and the .crt and .key would be located in the /etc/letsencrypt folder but it doesn't exist. Anyway, someone else has answered and got me to where I should be, thank you.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FleetSSL is highly discouraged by cPanel. The official cPanel client for managing Let's Encrypt certificates is AutoSSL.

1 Like

Unfortunately the files I need are the .pem files and I cannot find them anywhere. I have sent a message to FleetSSL but they are not able to respond until Monday. So if anyone knows where to find the .pem files on FleetSSL cPanel, please let me know, I appreciate it, thank you.

1 Like

Often files are actually in the PEM format, but have a different extension. Also, certificates and private keys in the DER format are easily reformatted into the PEM format, e.g. using simple openssl commands.

My suggestion would be to look into the files you did find with a text editor. If it looks like the contents of a PEM formatted file (see e.g. What is PEM Format? for info about the PEM format), it's a PEM file. If it looks like weird binary characters, it's probably in the DER format. See e.g. How To Convert DER To PEM and PEM to DER Certificate Format with OpenSSL? – POFTUT on how to convert it into a PEM.

3 Likes

If this decodes your cert, it's in PEM format:

https://redkestrel.co.uk/products/decoder/

2 Likes

Just in case: NEVER upload a KEY file to any site (but your own - in any format) !

3 Likes

^^^ That can't be stressed enough! ^^^

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.