Past Employees Email receives emails about new domains

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:*.ilab.health

I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly --server https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory --manual --cert-name ilab.health --preferred-challenges dns -d ā€˜ilab.health,*.ilab.healthā€™

It produced this output: Success message, certificate was created.

My web server is (include version): Apache 2.4.18

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04.6

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: AWS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I donā€™t know): yes

Iā€™m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if youā€™re using Certbot): certbot 0.31.0

So we had a past employee who handled the creation and renewal of Letā€™s Encrypt certs. He used his one company email address (shigh@aspirevc.com) during the initial creation of those certificates. He is no longer working here and we have been slowly changing the registered email address for those certs when we see emails coming into his email address. The above certificate though (ilab.health, *.ilab.health) was created in the past two months, I created it and I know that during the registration if I was asked for an email address I would have used our generic sysadmin@aspirevc.com account. But we recently received the ā€œCertificates due for renewalā€ email address to the past employees email address. Not sure how that could happen, Iā€™m hoping I could get some help figuring this out. Itā€™s obviously not a huge deal, but we would rather not have to manually change this every time we create new certs.

Hi @tossman

check

manage your account with Let's Encrypt:
    register        Create a Let's Encrypt ACME account
    unregister      Deactivate a Let's Encrypt ACME account
    update_account  Update a Let's Encrypt ACME account
  --agree-tos       Agree to the ACME server's Subscriber Agreement
   -m EMAIL         Email address for important account notifications 

then update your account.

Or unregister the account and create a new.

3 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll give that a try.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.