No IDN but UnicodeEncodeError

I have letsencrypt-auto run on server and obtain a few certificate for some domains (and sub-domains). Everything was ok until yesterday I added an new sub-domain to a certifacate (by editing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal) the try to re-new the certificate, but I encountered a UnicodeEncodeError:

Version: 1.1-20080819

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The following errors were reported by the server:
    Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
    File "/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/letsencrypt/reporter.py", line 67, in atexit_print_messages
    self.print_messages()
    File "/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/letsencrypt/reporter.py", line 105, in print_messages
    next_wrapper.fill(line) for line in lines[1:]))
    UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u2026' in position 888: ordinal not in range(128)
    Error in sys.exitfunc:
    An unexpected error occurred:
    UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u2026' in position 888: ordinal not in range(128)
    Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

I don't understand the error because I don't use any unicode character in domain name or config file...

Sorry, but why did you edit the renewal conf instead of using the --expand flag with the client? You really shouldn't have tried to add a domain the way you did, that functionality was already provided for.

I'm guessing the text editor you used replaced an ASCII character with a Unicode character.

That character (u2026) is a Unicode Ellipsis. Perhaps if you can find it and remove it (with a better editor!) it will start working.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.