Nginx Certificate Limit

I ran this command:
sudo certbot --nginx -d example.com -d www.example.com

It produced this output:

An unexpected error occurred:
Error creating new order :: too many certificates (5) already issued for this exact set of domains in the last 168 hours: holonext.io,www.holonext.io: see Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt
My web server is (include version): Ubuntu 20.04 on AWS

and ı want to use my old fullchain.pem and privekey.pem file how can ı do this using nginx and cerbot without creating new certificates?

Please run certbot certificates and tell us what you see.

Also make sure there aren't any other acme clients on your machine (are you using... Bitnami?)

1 Like

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

No certificates found.

there is no certificates but ı have found my old certificates and ı want to use them is this possible?

Is this machine a new one?

What's your actual domain name?

1 Like

Yes. Just put them where nginx can see them and set the ssl_certificate and ssl_certificate_key directives appropriately.

2 Likes

It would be best if you could restore the /etc/letsencrypt/ directory to its original state. Certbot also requires a renewal configuration file and specific symbolic links in certain directories to function properly

That said, you could also just store your found certificate/private key somewhere and configure nginx as @9peppe mentions and when it would be time to renew the certificate (30 days before expiry), run Certbot again to get a "new" certificate, which would overwrite the nginx configuration (if run with the --nginx plugin and without certonly).

3 Likes

OR...
What is stopping you from just getting a new cert (with a different set of names)?

2 Likes

Unnecessarily hogging the Let's Encrypt infrastructure?

2 Likes

That was stopped.
And I think they should have learned that lesson (by now).

1 Like

Can we use different domain name to get new certificate?
So , can we use that new certificate for a different domain .Can you explain?

Different set of names means a different thing. To get one, just add a subdomain to your current set of names :wink:

1 Like

did you mean
certbort -d tempdomain -d olddomain -d www.olddomain
or should we create new subdomain for our domain such as test.domain.com ?

All of those will work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.