Need to reinstall certificate every few days

My domain is: https://aviateprotect.com

My web server is (include version): Trusty

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: OVH

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

Every few days I get a ‘can’t provide a secure connection’ error on this site. Once I repair or renew the certificate everything works fine but then again the same thing seems to happen a few days later.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening?

Thanks

It’s hard to say unless you have the full error message/a screenshot of the full error message while the domain is not functioning.

It sounds suspiciously like an OCSP stapling issue (though your server has stapling disabled at the moment, which makes that theory less likely). It could be many other things.

you do realise that “repairing a certificate” is not a thing

As part of the certificate installation the server is restarted so that may be why your problems are “solved”

I would suggest looking at the apache logs and figuring it out

If you dont’ have that skill level you should told to OVH about what they can do to help

Well, unless your hard drive is seriously broken and the physical or logical sectors of the certificate file become corrupted :laughing:

But I guess you've got more serious issues in such a case :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry I meant re install!

ssl1

Ill make sure I get a screenshot next time it happens

Can you provide us with more information so we can help you? If you can give us some sort of error logs, we could figure out the issue.

Do you use any sort of control panel software on this server?

It happened again, here is a screenshot of the error.

The certificate is still valid though - so it’s not a certificate issue,

The site is loading fine for me - are you still having that issue ?

No because I just renewed the certificate.

The certificate details are

Certificate:
Issuer: C=US, O=Let’s Encrypt, CN=Let’s Encrypt Authority X3
Not Before: Dec 12 22:21:48 2017 GMT
Not After : Mar 12 22:21:48 2018 GMT

So this is not a new certificate - it’s the one from the 12 Dec last year, and valid until 12 March

Well all I can say is, that error was coming up. I then logged into my server and selected the ‘Renew & Replace’ option which seemed to go fine and the problem was corrected. However as I said this can happen sporadically every few days or every couple of weeks.

From everything you say, this is a server / installation / network issue - not a certificate issue ( i.e. you are still using the same certificate you were using, there has been no change in that).

Without specific details it’s difficult to say exactly what the issue is ( because it’s not there for us to test at the current time).

Did you follow the link when you got the error to run “windows network diagnostics” ? what information did that provide ?

I’m assuming just using “reload” on your browser doesn’t work ?

Is this something that affects people outside your location / office ? or just internally ?

I couldn’t leave the site down and to be honest I didnt expect anyone to reply so quickly.

I didnt this time but I have done before and it wasn’t any help.

The reload on my browser does not work no.

It affects anyone looking at the site not just an internal issue.

If it affects everyone ( not just local to you) then it’s an issue on or near the server. I think to solve it you need someone to look at it when there is a fault / issue.

I understand fully that you don’t want to leave your site unreachable for folk, I’d suggest getting someone to look at it next time it happens though ( your server provider, a server admin), or at minimum leave it with the issue for 10 or 15 mins and ask here, to see if there is someone available to look at the issue.

Sorry yes I will definitely do this. I am sure it wont be long before it happens again haha. Thank you for all your help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.