Maximum (and minimum) certificate lifetimes?

Obviously you never read the mission statement. This excactly what LE is about: About Let's Encrypt - Let's Encrypt

... and i disagree!

I am not sure if you understand the concept of free speech correctly. Free speech means you can say that you think the principles of LE do not fit your use cases. Free speech does not mean you can bully someone to do your bidding. Unfortunatly this is a common mistake nowadays. :expressionless:

3 Likes

automatic is just one point and incase you dont know, Google signs ITS OWN certificates using an intermediate that is valid for over 3 years, so if we got our own intermediate and could sign using that automation might be quite a bit easier, but we just get end entity certs valid for 90 days and we have to rely on some client to give us new onesā€¦

3 Likes

That is part of what LE is about. Many of us were drawn to LE because of other parts. Also, everything I saw beforehand suggested that manually creating certs was also possible and viable, when really, they just aren't with the 90 day renewal period that was then dropped on us later on. We were drawn in by the idea of a free, open CA sponsored by the likes of Mozilla and the EFF, with the plan to help push widespread TLS use. Then we get here, and get told about this limitation which directly goes against the major goal as we (at least I) had been led to understand it.

Sure, it's part of their mission statement, but it's not the entire mission statement, and not what many of us thought to be the main driving force of it.

3 Likes

Do you understand what you are suggesting? If LE would provide intermediate certificates to end users, every user could generate certificates for www.google.com or www.microsoft.com How long would it take before LE would be blacklisted by every serious root certificate store? The current certificate system is fragile enough as it is...

Also: No matter what you do, you have to rely that the CA you chose is working no matter if it uses email, a web frontend or "some client".

1 Like

I feel your pain and believe me, I've been there. But I got over it and i am happy for the work and money that LE is going to save me. It is just not a solution for all my problems.

The problem with a mission statement is that all points are important and have to be fulfilled. You argue to drop the automatation. What's next? How would you feel if someone wants to drop the "Free" or the "Secure" part?

2 Likes

the automation shouldnt be dropped but to each his own thereā€™s stuff where automation wont work and there the 90 days certs are a serious pitaā€¦

2 Likes

Automation should be a feature. Not a usage requirement.

6 Likes

Yes, and LE's goal is having automation. If this does not work for you, you are free to choose another CA. LE does not have to fit in all usecases.

@nneul
Some thoughts about it being non-optimal: Getting Bad Vibes - #17 by wldhx and Getting Bad Vibes - #27 by wldhx

1 Like

well they arent exactly self-signd they are signed by an intermediate they got from geotrust, to be exact.

1 Like

Not quite. Check the links in my post above + this one. I'll even quote a bit for your convenience:

1 Like

well if you dont use a 1024bit key and sha1 then even a year should be relatively secure.

2 Likes

I don't though. I argue to drop the 90 day maximum. Having automation for those that want/can use it is great, but we were told that manual mode was possible, and it was made to seem just as feasible. I'm not suggesting they drop it, I'm suggesting they actually make it practical to a wider group in order to increase TLS adoption, which was the main goal stated in a lot of places. As @nneul so succinctly put it, "Automation should be a feature. Not a usage requirement."

I entirely understand wanting automation, and I can see its use for some people, but it's just not practical for everyone, and works against what I consider the far more important goal of more widespread TLS.

5 Likes

you mean maximim,dont you?

^<- THAT!

3 Likes

Wow, just wow. I was really looking forward to the going live of Letā€™s Encrypt, but it seems to me as if it is only targeted at a fraction of service providers (namely service providers that have some really bad habits when it comes to TLS).

I saw people mentioning that one could reuse a key pair for several certificates to ease the renewal process. At my workplace this a complete no-go. Every certificate gets a new key pair. No matter of discussion.

Then there are people mentioning that automating the renewal is an easy task. I donā€™t see how you can say this when at the same time you deny that Letā€™s Encrypt poses a security threat. You allow some fully automatic process to access your private keys? We restrict access to private keys to the root user - that way services can read them during startup, before dropping privileges, but never again. Renewing certificates therefore requires a full restart. But as it seems you either do not protect your private keys or you are okay with automatic processes that run as root. Neither case is desirable.

Another thing: have you ever thought about not-just-kidding-around environments? For example networks that employ TLS-off-loading within firewall or loadbalancer appliances? Are you going to tinker with these devices, lose your support, so that you can live with certificates that are only valid for 90 days? Iā€™d really like to see how your automation looks like in real life environments.

And finally, has anyone thought about the Internet of Things? How do you want to automate certificate renewal on these devices? At the moment itā€™s difficult to find devices that support TLS - but the number of devices is rising. Do you really think that anyone will use Letā€™s Encrypt certificates in this area?

tl;dr: With certificates that are only valid for 90 days youā€™re actively killing the idea behind Letā€™s Encrypt for serious users and for emerging technologies alike.

7 Likes

Bravo. Very well stated. Wish I could give you nK likes.

3 Likes

@kenny re-use of keys is a pure option by default it does what you guys do anyway, and that is making a new pair.

1 Like

I's rather say for those who CAN.

1 Like

+nK

2 Likes

On the subject of automationā€¦ specifically, why automation is such a big part of the LE mission.

This issue has two sides: support and security.

With respect to support, I suspect that the folks who conceived of this project saw automation as a solution to a very basic problem for a free CA: how to support a large number of users with no staff. That is to say, LE is currently (and probably always will be) a very small organization. They donā€™t have staff to support users. So I imagine that their hope is that by building a community of users for whom everything is automated, then the need for active, live support staff will be limited.

And the other side of the coin is security: specifically, how to maximize the security of their systems. A short certificate lifetime has a very basic security advantage: if something gets compromised, you donā€™t have to wait long before browsers start rejecting the cert, even if no action is taken (FWIW, this is the same reason why credit cards have expiration dates). However, as so many have pointed out in this thread, a short cert lifetime is a major pain in the you-know-what. For these folks, a longer lifetime is going to be necessary to avoid that pain. But at the same time, these folks are going to miss out on the security benefits of a shorter lifetime.

Now, Iā€™m not affiliated with LE in any way. Iā€™m not even in the beta program - Iā€™m waiting for the public beta (and to get the project Iā€™m working on into a state where itā€™s ready to deploy). But the reasoning for the decisions that have been made seems clear to me:

If you can build a community of users who are automating certificate renewals (to reduce or eliminate the need for support), you can also implement short cert lifetimes and thereby improve security.

Is automation going to work for every use case? No, certainly not. Is the security improvement gained from short cert lifetimes substantial? I donā€™t know - Iā€™d love to hear what others think on this point.

In the end, all we can do is individually determine if LE will meet our needs. We can, of course, continue to push for changes to their policies. I suspect that, in the short term at least, requests for longer cert lifetimes will be refused because of the rationale Iā€™ve described here.

4 Likes

thatā€™s why I always say, wutomatic where possible together with the 90 days, and everyone else (who uses manual) may get longer lifetimes of their certso itā€™s not so annoying.

2 Likes