Maximum (and minimum) certificate lifetimes?

HPKP works off the SPKI (public key hash), not the certificate. That's why you can generate the hash from the private key file before you even generate a CSR. As long as you don't regenerate your site's private key, you don't need to do staggered key rollovers with 90 day limits, you can push that out to nicer, longer timeframes.

I asked in #letsencrypt this morning whether the letsencrypt-renewer script would default to regenerating the private key each time, or keep it and re-submit the prior CSR. I'm told right now the idea is regenerate by default -- but there should be a config parameter to change to re-using the existing CSR/private key. Clearly that's what you and I want to turn on.

Having a backup key is still extremely critical for compromise recovery, so it's still something that should have great care taken in implementation.

I guess what I mean to say is, there's nothing about short-lived certs that stops you from using HPKP, but it does mean we have a distance to go on tooling before we can reach admin nirvana.

2 Likes