Maximum (and minimum) certificate lifetimes?

Well, I too had been looking forward to LE certificates. Now, with manually “phoning in” for approval every 90 days, or else constantly running LE software, I will probably have to do without or buy a “proper” one. Though I don’t trust any of the CAs and don’t like supplying the personal info to get one.

I suppose all the LE donations have produced at least something better than nothing - but I’m glad I have not donated yet. Next some will tell me not to say anything for that reason…

Unfortunately this is a common problem with Linux and other volunteer tech offerings - there is no external market discipline or motivation to serve the customer. “It is free and you will take what you get and like it. I know what’s best for you”.

Unfortunately that is also the way, as an earlier poster mentioned, with the likes of Microsoft at the other end of the spectrum. They can force awful products and tell people what to do because they have a stranglehold due to an IP monoploy. Yet, after all these years, for most people even these awful offerings have still been preferable to Linux on desktops.

Why not be different for a change and stop “forcing” people for their own good?

Of course, the other thing could be that in order to get a recognised CA to cross sign, LE had to show them they would not compete on their turf. Then why not say so instead of the condescending “it’s for your own good” stuff?

I’ll decide what’s good for my servers not LE and if LE cannot offer something proper for all the donations they have taken in - without the know-it-all central planning, handholding and strings attached - I’ll have to do without.

3 Likes