Login to Manage Automatic Updates

My domain is: statshack.com
My web server is (include version):
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Windows
My hosting provider, if applicable, is: interserver.com

I am getting notifications that my certificates will expire, but I have had no success logging in to manage the settings for automatically updating the certificates.

Help!!

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community! :slightly_smiling_face:

How did you acquire your certificates in the first place? That's where you'll need to renew them.

7 Likes

It seems that HTTP is being blocked/filtered, while HTTPS is allowed:

curl -Ii http://statshack.com/
curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

curl -Ii https://statshack.com/
HTTP/2 200
content-length: 1183
content-type: text/html
last-modified: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:25:16 GMT
accept-ranges: bytes
etag: "febfc78214dd81:0"
server: Microsoft-IIS/10.0
x-powered-by: ASP.NET
date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 21:48:26 GMT

That can pose a problem when using HTTP authentication.

8 Likes

I think you can ignore the expiry emails...
The site is renewing monthly [way ahead of schedule], see:
crt.sh | statshack.com

8 Likes

Use only of https was my goal and I purposely chose not to employ HTTP authentication. Is that going to be OK long term?

8 Likes

Thanks!! It seemed like I hadn't had to renew the certificates too often (or at all?) but the emails implied something was wrong in the settings for my account. So I then tried to log in, but have tried all my emails, as logins and it reports that it doesn't recognize any of them!! And yet I get emails from them on my gmail address... So frustrating.

What is "crt.sh" and... who maintains it and.... where is the information there maintained such that you can see a history of my (and everyone elses I assume) certificates. Isn't that information somehow degrading security?

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to help me. But I apologize, unfortunately your question doesn't seem to make sense to me or... the answer seems obvious? I got the certificates through Let's Encrypt, some time ago.

1 Like

There's nowhere to "login" to Let's Encrypt regarding renewals. Your ACME client (which could be embedded into some kind of control panel or other software) is responsible for acquiring/renewing your certificates. You do have an ACME account tied to a private encryption key that was created when you first acquired your certificate(s). Your ACME account can have one or more email addresses on file where you will receive expiration warning notices. There is nowhere to "login" to your ACME account. It is simply accessed via the ACME API by your ACME client using your ACME account private encryption key.

It's a certificate transparency (CT) log aggregator. Since a certificate contains absolutely no confidential information, being able to confirm its details only aids with security.

8 Likes

Thanks Griffin, that makes perfect sense.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.