LetsMonitor.org - Monitoring certificates

What if...We added a way to enter your own cipher sets into a monitor?

Sounds like a good enough solution for me.

Iā€™m still researching this, but I really like the was AWS handles this for load balancers. You are presented a recommended list of protocols and ciphers and you get to pick which ones to use. This is really powerful in testing.

1 Like

I think this is the way we are going to go. It is the most flexible.

I sent you an email a couple days ago, let me know if you got it.

Any progress on calender integration?

Amazonā€™s new SMS service is working great for us. You used to only be able to post to topics, but now you can send to indiviual numbers.

1 Like

Thatā€™s nice, but providing alternative delivery methods would still be advantageous for users (as they would e.g. be more secure or as there might be users who donā€™t want to give you their phone number). Threema Gateway provides this and is also cheaper for youā€¦

I really like the idea of encrypted and anonymous messaging (are you listening, WhatsApp?) and Threema looks interesting. Do you have any info on how many users they have, and such?

1 Like

According to latest data around tells 3 million active users.
It constantly gets updates and users only need to submit a Threema ID to receive messages. No mail address or phone number has to be submitted.

1 Like

Does anyone else get frequent false-positives from the service erroring out with ā€œgetaddrinfo ENOTFOUNDā€ or is my hostā€™s DNS server just too slow? (I seem to be getting these a lot when my hosts are being polled by the Singapore, Tokyo or Sao Paulo stations.)

That seems to be the case too often. The next release addresses this in two ways:

1. Each test requires a confirmation from another station to trigger an alert.

2. The contacts can be setup with a minimum amount of downtime before notifications occur.

The release is very close to being finished. Iā€™ll keep everyone posted on progress.

1 Like

Your account has been deleted

The latest release (just out) requires a confirmation from another station before issuing an alert. This has been very effective in getting rid of false positives.

See release notes here: https://letsmonitor.org/releases

Oh, I think I have to correct myself: The number is only about the active users in Germany. So 3 million users in Germany.

Thank you for the info. We think there is a lot of value in that service and are planning out alternative communication channels like this (and Slack, etcā€¦)

It seems that Iā€™m being spammed by expiration notices. Letsmonitor.org says there are 60 days left. The domain log shows that some nodes do not seem to refresh the certificate domain or cache the certificate.

I would suggest a XMPP (Jabber) message as alternative to threema/whatsapp/telegram, as its free and you do not need any gateway.

Simplest solution: sendxmpp binary, one account and credentials to the account in the config.
Most programming languages have xmpp libraries, so you do not need to use an external binary.
The advantage is, that xmpp is free and there are already a lot of users and clients for all platforms.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.