LetsEncrypt dns-01 connection timeout error

I'm trying to see if there's anything further I can do to troubleshoot this issue. It appears my BIND9 DNS server isn't able to contact LetsEncrypt, however it can do NSLOOKUPs just fine

My domain is: abc.int

I ran this command: certbot certonly --manual --preferred-challenges dns

It produced this output:

Failed authorization procedure. abc.int (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.abc.int

Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.abc.int

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Fedora 29 ARM64

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Internal DNS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 0.28.0

Are you sure you actually own abc.int domain? If Iā€™m not mistaken, .int is supposed to be reserved for the international treaty-based organisations and itā€™s rather expensive. Also abc.int does not seem to be registered. Based on your mentioning ā€œInternal DNSā€ as the hosting provider and saying ā€œmy BIND9 DNS serverā€, perhaps thatā€™s just the domain name you came up with?

3 Likes

Hi @espressobeanies

this is the domain ( https://check-your-website.server-daten.de/?q=abc.int ):

Host T IP-Address is auth. āˆ‘ Queries āˆ‘ Timeout
abc.int Name Error yes 1 0
www.abc.int Name Error yes 1 0

And these are the nameservers:

Domain	Nameserver	NS-IP
www.abc.int
	ā€¢  sns.dns.icann.org

abc.int
	ā€¢  sns.dns.icann.org

int
	ā€¢  ns.uu.net / Verizon
		ā€¢

That's not your domain.

You may use that domain name with your internal server. But I don't see that you are the public owner of that domain. So you can't get a certificate with that domain name.

2 Likes

I see, thank you both for the clarification!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.