LetsEncrypt cPanel plugin - Could not connect to domain with IPV6 Address

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: tanatek.com

I ran this command: LetsEncrypt cPanel plugin (but got the same with le-cp ssl --user=tanatek issue mail.tanatek.com www.tanatek.com)

It produced this output:

FATA[0010] Failed to get certificate for map[www.tanatek.com:{www.tanatek.com tanatek.com Alias /home/tanatek/public_html tanatek} mail.tanatek.com:{mail.tanatek.com tanatek.com Alias /home/tanatek/public_html tanatek}]: The Let’s Encrypt HTTP challenge failed: acme error ‘urn:acme:error:connection’: Could not connect to tanatek.com, aborting

My web server is (include version):

Apache 2.4.25 (cPanel)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): CentOS 6

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes I have full root access

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): cPanel

I can also ping 66.133.109.36 and firewall is disabled but still the same, the domain is pinging as well from the server itself.

Hi @zwt

You have an IPV6 Address on your domain. Search this forum as their has been quite a bit of discussion about this recently.

Andrei

Yes that was it. Disabling IPV6 temporary allowed LetsEncrypt to proceed with the SSL renewal, thank you!

Do we have a resolution for this problem yet? This is quite annoying especially on a cPanel server with hundreds of domains.

@zwt, you might want to ask on the cPanel forums at

or maybe ask @benny who’s also a member of this forum.

The problem is with LetsEncrypt itself not related to cPanel. For some reason if a domain has both ipv4 and ipv6 records the renewal fails since LetsEncrypt servers can’t connect to the domains. @benny can you advise here?

thank you

The solution is to have IPV6 records pointing to valid servers and having listeners for IPV6 on those servers :smiley:

Andrei

hm weird indeed, ok it was my fault. sorry. All looks smooth now :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.