./letsencrypt-auto: line 81: sudo: command not found

Using Debian GNU/Linux

Did this:

(uiserver):u53127862:~ > git clone https://github.com/letsencrypt/letsencrypt
Cloning into letsencrypt…
remote: Counting objects: 22896, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (31/31), done.
remote: Total 22896 (delta 10), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 22865
Receiving objects: 100% (22896/22896), 5.95 MiB | 4.70 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (15915/15915), done.
(uiserver):u53127862:~ > cd letsencrypt
(uiserver):u53127862:~/letsencrypt > ./letsencrypt-auto
Bootstrapping dependencies for Debian-based OSes…
./letsencrypt-auto: line 81: sudo: command not found

Last line leads me to believe that it didn’t work. I am hosted by 1and1. Let me know if I should continue to attempt the beta.

at the command prompt try typing:

which sudo

this should output the location of the sudo command on the system like

/user/bin/sudo

If it can’t be found then your shell is likely not a full root shell.

Thank you. I did this:

(uiserver):u53127862:~/letsencrypt > which sudo
(uiserver):u53127862:~/letsencrypt >

Since it did not go to /user/bin/sudo it may be that I don’t have full root shell. Perhaps the letsencrypt certificate cannot be used with my hosting setup. I’m curious about compiling a list of compatible hosts.

You might want to check with 1and1 support first, their VPS plans should be compatible with LetsEncrypt.

Debian doesn’t have sudo installed by default. If you can get root access via su, you can install it yourself:

su
[type root password]
apt-get install sudo
usermod -G sudo -a $USER    # add yourself to the sudo group

then log out and log back in, and you should have sudo access.

Of course, this won’t work unless you have the root password. If you don’t, you’ll have to use another method such as installing the client locally and using the manual mode.

Try it with https://github.com/diafygi/letsencrypt-nosudo

(note that you will still need to issue a command as root to prove that you are the owner of the server, but that will solve most of your sudo problems)

Thank you for all the information and help. I assume because I am on shared hosting that the technical solution will be out of my reach. Perhaps, down the road, letsencrypt will partner with some hosting companies that will allow free SSL on shared hosting. Keep up the good work.

is there a way to run it completely without root I dont see the need to prove that I own the server just to get a cert I mean if the server is just means for the purpose (non compatible System on main server) then it technically wouldnt need to run an HTTP server coz I could do webroot

Thank you. I’m not the server owner, it’s shared hosting, so I think, for now, no free SSL for me. I am looking into changing my hosting so I can do this.

when you dont need multiple domains you also could get a cert from startssl…

Well actually, there still seems to be a way to do it with letsencrypt-nosudo without having to issue anything as root on the server.

If I understood how it works, running letsencrypt-auto on your own computer, with sudo, and in manual mode, LE should tell you to run a python script as root; or to display content at /.well-known/thing in order to pass the challenge.

Displaying the content should work (creating a folder .well-known on your env. and adding the header text/plain), and let you pass the challenge (and therefore give you your certificates).

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, my english isn’t really good.