Let's Encrypt SSL Pricing

That's

wrong.

Having such a hosting service there are a lot of things you have to do regular. Same with certificate installation and renews.

It's never a one-step-job.

It's like your car: A regular maintenance is required. If not, your car may crash because of a missing maintenance.

2 Likes

Even if Let's Encrypt said that "Nobody anywhere can charge extra for using our certificates", there's really no way that they could enforce it. I don't even think they could enforce it just within the US, let alone doing so worldwide. And even if they could, I suspect that they have better things to do and hiring more people to try to enforce such rules isn't the best use of their funds.

They're giving this out for free since they're a non-profit, after all. From their faq, "Letā€™s Encrypt is run by a small team and relies on automation to keep costs down." I don't know how you automate stopping people from charging to integrate things you're giving away.

4 Likes

I am saying help of community not saying to hire more people I know let's Encrypt is a Non profit Organization We can help as per let's Encrypt community members

(We all are from different countries and places )

1 Like

We can helpā€¦ do what exactly? Not pay extra for TLS support? Sure. Write nasty letters to companies that charge extra? I suppose we could, but I don't know if it'd help change anything. I may just not be understanding what action you're proposing this community take.

Of course. Let's Encrypt is based in the US, though, which is why that'd be the easiest place for them to try to have any sort of legal mechanism to stop others from doing things they don't like. I was just trying to say that I don't think they could even do so within their home country.

3 Likes

I mean I'm all for jsha being outfitted in full platemail, mounted upon an armored Clydesdale, ready to throw down the gauntlet...

1 Like

Think About line given below. you can find your answer much better from me

"The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members." ā€“ Coretta Scott King

Also think about this

ā€œAlone, we can do so little; together, we can do so muchā€ ā€“ Helen Keller

Now answer will depending on what you think :thinking:

2 Likes

Father, give us courage to change what must be altered,
serenity to accept what cannot be helped,
and the insight to know the one from the other.

- Karl Paul Reinhold Niebuhr

More often known as...

The Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

3 Likes

@jsha

We should have the quote above engraved into the front door.

4 Likes

My response would be

ā€œIf you hired a taxi, and the driver said that there would be an extra charge of $33 if you used the seatbelt, would you think that a reasonable extra charge for access to improved safety?

Personally I would consider charging extra to allow a passenger to use a seatbelt to be totally unreasonable in 2020. I would get out the taxi and find one that didnā€™t charge extra for something any reasonable person would
consider an essential component of any taxis service.

So donā€™t take the **** and expect me to pay extra for something that should be considered essential in 2020. If you insist on charging extra, I will leave like I would the taxi.ā€

See what response you get.:joy::joy::cry:

4 Likes

If you hired a taxi for 100$ and should pay 33$ ekstra for seatbelt usage (plus 15$ per luggage - if you have some), it would still be cheaper that the 199$ all inclusive taxiride unless you have a lot of luggage... You could also just walk and it would be even cheaper...

Different webhost have different pricemodels... at some you pay extra for subsites, so subsite1.mydomain.com cost some extra, even though the storage usage would be the same as if it was www.mydomain.com/subsite1...

What you pay for is the infrastructure - the certificate is free, but the server most probably haven't configured itself to make this free certificate service work, and if there is some server updates that makes it stop working, the fixing is also done by some it technicians (and he/she most problably appreciate some payment for their effort of fixing it)... And if you have some problems, please conider wether you are being charged for the support or is it inclusive... Again - different hosting providers = different pricemodels. The ones charging for these different "basic" services are often the ones with lowest entry prices... And whether you like it or not, you do want you hosting provider to make money - alternatively they may go bankruptcy, and then your entire ecommerce site is gone, and you can start from scratch again... But it is a free world - if you're not being happy with your current solution/ hosting provider, then find another one... But I do recommend that you look at the whole package and not just focusing on a single subservice...

2 Likes

I have been reading this thread with a bit of amusement.

As I see it a supplier is free to charge whatever they think the customer is prepared to pay.

Meanwhile, a customer should be free to take their business elsewhere if they don't like the service, or price.

When looking at a service I don't get hung up on the details, I look at the total cost, and then make a decision if it is worth paying, or not. If I think the price / benefit is not good enough I am free to try elsewhere, or even do some of the work myself if I can.

This is how a proper commercial society works.

1 Like

Thanks for the discussion, everyone! All the angles have been covered at this point, so I'll go ahead and close the thread.

4 Likes