Lets Encrypt Renew

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: fmdeveloperllc.com

I ran this command: I ran no command

It produced this output: N/A

My web server is (include version): I don’t know

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): I don’t know

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: ipage.com

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):i don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): I don’t know

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): I don’t know

I need to renew my certificate … I was working with a developer as we tested an idea using LeaseWeb as our hosting database provider but my ip is registered with iPage.com were the certificate lives. I am using the word “lives” because I can log into iPage and I can see that my SSL Certificate as LetsEncrypt. The person whom I was working with is no longer available.

So I am on my own and I may have to find someone to help me but I would love to figure this out myself ? Hmm …

Anyway, I was advise in a very nice way on a previous post to learn Lets Encrypt … god I would love that … well I have been unsuccessful in that endeavor :frowning: yet I would love to learn Lets Encrypt :slight_smile: I just don’t have 600 years.

All documentation I’ve ever read assumes you are a highly advanced individual whom has god like abilities to read, then do … me, I don’t have those ability … no amount of reading will teach how to ride a bike, I have to ride the bike. So, how do I translate that type of learning to Lets Encrypt ?

Is there another way to learn Lets Encrypt by way of doing ???

Throwing the book at me doesn’t work, I’m so sorry everybody … your documentation as other s, do not accomplish “LEARNING” that’s one thing I’ve learn.

All I want to do is renew my certificate.

Documentation for Buying coffee for a friend …

“Tom here’s 5 dollars, get on your bike and ride to your local convenient store and buy me a cup of coffee; keep the change AND please hurry.”

Now I can do that - happily :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Tom

iPage.com says they provide free SSL certificates:
…so this really is their responsibility. But you have a current, valid cert, issued 23 March, expiring 21 June. Why do you think you need to renew it?

danb35,

Well I got this e-mail … see attached.

LeaseWeb is where we were hosting the MySQL database and we needed a SSL certificate, hence the Lets Encrypt certificate.

I’ve removed the “A” record pointing to the LeaseWeb IP on iPage’s control page.

I can’t seem to stop the Lets Encrypt alerts by removing the certificate or trying to renew like I am thinking now for future.

But it looks like the certificate is connected to the LeaseWeb since leaseweb.fmdeveloperllc.com is the link being referenced.

Anyway, we no longer have the LeaseWeb IP we’ve closed the account but I’m still thinking that I would like to keep the certificate for future use even though we are not using the IP the SSL certificate was intended for - does that matter ?? I have no clue.

Anyway …

Thank you.

Tom

No, removing the cert won’t stop the emails. However, you’ll only get a few of them; once the cert has actually expired you won’t get any more. But as you note, that cert is only for leaseweb.fmdeveloperllc.com; it doesn’t affect your main domain. If you aren’t using that name any more, let it expire.

danb35,

Ok, thank you so much :slight_smile:

Tom

I think the base assumption in most documentation (for Certbot and many other tools) is that you’re a system administrator who administers your server yourself over SSH. We’ve tried to make this pretty explicit on the front page at

That’s no longer the case for most web site owners because most of them are using shared hosting services where someone else is the administrator (which seems to be your case with iPage). In this case not only is it not necessary for you to follow this documentation, it’s probably not possible for you to follow it, because you’re not the administrator of the server and wouldn’t have the necessary permissions on the server to do these things.

If you’d like to learn more about the prerequisites for following this kind of documentation—which doesn’t apply to your current hosting environment!—I’d suggest looking for tutorials on system administration and/or the Unix command line.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.